Permadeath Mode, Character Wipe Hits Starbound Next Week
Permadeath mode is coming in the next Starbound update, a patch that will also mean the untimely death of our beloved characters.
In a post on the official Starbound blog developer Chucklefish delivers the good news/bad news. Along with a new permadeath mode, the first update of 2014 — which is expected to launch next week — brings a drop-everything when you die mode, new weapons, more hats, more random encounters and “possibly more content.” That’s the good. The bad is another character wipe is on the way, so my beloved Apex, the monkey man I’ve tunneled through countless planets with, will be erased along with my ship and the lockers full of stuff I’ve accumulated.
That sound you hear is 1 million Starbound players crying out in pain.
This one’s gonna hurt. Chucklefish did note that this will probably be the final character wipe of the beta, so players won’t have to fear starting from scratch again. Most likely. Hopefully.
Here’s the full patch notes:
- .ds_store issue affecting OSX 9.1 users (A bug where Finder created an invisible file called .ds_store in the player folder which caused the game to crash).
- A number of character creation/selection screen crashes related to loading corrupted save files
- An issue that could prevent the launcher from starting (MSVCRT.dll)
- DirectX crash bug (303 bug)
- Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing and GUI memory leak
- Fixed a crash bug related to GUI controls
- Reduced memory load of FTL animation
- .abc files with comments no longer crash the game, plus various .abc fixes as far as key signatures/timing
- A number of issues with players spawning underground
- A bug where players spawned outside the ship if they’d previously saved the game while in the Captain’s Chair
- Right shift key was not working as a shift key, now it is
- An issue tech slots were unusable under certain conditions
- Wiring system fixes– wires are rendered below UI elements, wires no longer break when crossed into an unloaded sector
- Added image metadata caching, improved assets caching
- Added a jeep mech that was supposed to have been in the last patch, but had mysteriously gone missing!
- Object flipping issues
- Sped up the crafting window
- Fixed a sound issue that occurred after many concurrent weapon hits
- Characters no longer blink while sleeping in beds
- Assorted minor performance improvements
- New game modes! Permadeath and drop-everything-on-death modes.
- Revolvers, pulse rifles, hand grenades, shivs, Floran needlers, Floran thorn hammer
- Human guards now wear soldier uniforms
- More decorative hats! Yay, hats!
- More random encounters
- Possibly more content, if it’s finished on time!