Premium PlayStation Plus Announced and Priced at E3
We had hints it was coming and today Jack Tretton formally announced the premium PlaystationNetwork service. Priced under Microsoft’s Xbox Live! at $50 a year (or $18 every 3 months) the new service is an add on to existing features. Everything the current PSN does will be carried forward and Plus subscribers will be paying for access to premium content and exclusive consideration to Betas and Demos. To launch the service Sony is offering the first three months free and throwing in a copy of Wipeout HD.
Will it be a good buy for you? I’m not quite sold.
You can see a more complete list of details after the jump.
Here are the currently advertised features for PlayStation Plus:
- Full Game Trial - A great way to try before you buy – play a game for up to one hour, then purchase the game to unlock your trophies and continue your progress.
- Automatic Downloads – PlayStation®Plus downloads select demos, patches and firmware updates automatically, so you don’t have to think about it.
- PS Store Discounts – Save money on stuff you’re buying anyway with discounts on games of up to 50%. These discounts alone make PlayStation® Plus worth it. Straight cash perks to perk your thumbs up.
- Exclusive Offers – Access to select avatars, themes, and other items other folks can’t get and at least not until long after you’ve been there, done that.
- Free Games & Downloads – The free stuff adds up to way more than the cash you’re putting down. Think about it. Get select free games, add-ons and other downloads. Now that’s a deal.
- Select Early Demos – There will be occasions where you will get early access to some demos before all the other common folk. That’s pretty sweet.
- Priority Beta Invitations – You’ll be the first to receive invitations on select Betas.