Red Dead Redemption Swag Pack GIVEAWAY – Comment Contest
UPDATE: We have a Winner!
Congratulations to Josh, who presented a very interesting idea for a pirate-themed sandbox video game! Keep a lookout for new giveaways and contests every Wednesday, right here on FileFront.com.
Here is Josh’s full idea:
I’d say give a pirate type game a shot. It could fit one of a few molds very well; a privateer working for his government to bring down opposing naval forces, a young orphaned kid trying to make his name in the pirating world, a disgraced ex-sailor forced into piracy to survive, an old pirate left to die by his crew and seeking revenge. It could be framed with a series of islands that are mildly close together for quick transport and then larger islands further away that would require one to steal a ship and get a whole crew together in order to make it and fend off other pirates, privateers, or navies; as well as dealing with things like supply levels, mutinies and stormy weather. This would give the game a HUGE feeling with different culture and different problems on the main islands. For instance, say one island is very closely tied to the government and you have to operate secretly and if noticed it’s an all-out brawl with money on your head/dirty dealing to get out of the gallows, another island could be a pirate haven full of crime and denizens that a pirate could use as part of their crew/just general help. It gives the gamer lots of options to how it plays out and can create a very interesting narrative in a vast world. And who doesn’t love pirates?
Some gameplay things I’d include would be making the focus be on melee weapons (swords, knives, etc) and make guns harder to use/more special to use since they were pretty archaic and getting more than one or two shots off from one would be problematic. You could have a parrot act as a messenger and send him shuffling back and forth between islands to see if heat has died down from crimes you’ve committed, getting into contact with allies, looking for land while you’re at sea and other things.
It’s Wednesday, which means it’s time for another FileFront.com giveaway! This week, we have a whole bunch of Red Dead Redemption loot to get rid of. So…
It’s no secret that Rockstar are quite adept at creating “sandbox” video games, which turn you loose in a fully realized video game world. They’ve recreated the 80s (Vice City), the ghetto (San Andreas), and of course, the Wild West (Red Dead Redemption).
But there are so many more sandbox worlds which have yet to be created. That’s where you come in.
Here’s How You Can Win
- Drop your best idea for a sandbox video game setting in the comments section of this page.
- Your sandbox video game idea can be from any era, in any location. It can be a “real” setting, or a fictionalized setting (i.e. post apocalyptic).
- You might give us a short description of what would make your sandbox video games setting so cool, list some gameplay mechanics/features, etc.
- Our favorite idea wins the swag pack! We’ll ship it over to you, free of charge.
- U.S. contestants only. Sorry.
- We’ll run the contest through next Wednesday, October 6
Swag Pack Includes
- PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption
- Large Red Dead Redemption T-shirt
- 3x Red Dead Redemption stickers
- 1 deck of Red Dead Redemption playing cards
- 1 bar of “Eradication Soap,” which reads: “Tough on blood and manure”
- 1 set of old timey dice
Now, get commenting!