Resident Evil 6 Review: So Much Game You’ll Have to Like Something
But there’s just so much. There are more huge and crazy set pieces packed into this game than a Call of Duty title. There’s straight third-person shooting, zombie mayhem, and unkillable beasts that chase you three-quarters of a level before a showdown. Resident Evil 6 changes things up so often, it’s hard not to find something you like about it. And it’s a great deal more fun to play with other people.
So in the end, it’s hard not to be torn about how I felt about the game. Some bits were really great. Some bits were pretty crap. But the total experience — I think I liked it.
And it’s hard to be too angry with a game that’s so ambitious, even if it stumbles a number of times as it gets on its feet.
- Crazy amount of content: could reasonably be several games
- Tons of action-heavy set pieces, several of which are pretty stellar
- Awesomely cinematic and graphically beautiful
- Four different campaigns, each with a different play style
- Cooperative modes all the way through, plus competitive online play for each chapter
- The Mercenaries mode makes another solid comeback
- Character stories and arcs are pretty compelling
- Story delivered in pieces, from different perspectives, is cool
- Check points are frequent, so even when you die you won’t have to re-play much
- Quick-time events. Lots of quick-time events.
- Some dumb and puzzling design choices
- Some levels are not very fun; some events are really irritating
- Ammo can be scarce for seemingly no reason
- You still have to deal with things like inventory management and herb mixing, even though they add nothing to the experience
- Really best enjoyed with others; in fact, not really that good alone
Final Score: 75/100
Phil Hornshaw is the author of The Unofficial Resident Evil Trivia Challenge. Follow him and Game Front on Twitter: @philhornshaw and @gamefrontcom.
Struggling to survive the global outbreak? Check out our Resident Evil 6 walkthrough, complete with boss strategies and survival tips.