Resident Evil is Capcom's Top-Selling Series of All Time
With 50 titles released in the series, Resident Evil clocks in as the best selling series in Capcom’s history, with 34.5 million copies sold. That’s followed by Mega Man with 120(!) titles selling 28 million copies, and Street Fighter rounding out the top three with 25 million.
These numbers come from the Japanese publisher a month prior to the company’s 25th anniversary, which it will celebrate next month. They revealed the sales for the 14 Capcom series which have gone platinum, as well as the 46 individual games which have gone platinum for the company.
Here’s a look at the top of the list; you can find the rest at Next-Gen.
- Street Fighter II (released June 1992, SFC, 6,300,000 units sold)
- Resident Evil 2 (January 1998, PS, 4,960,000)
- Street Fighter II Turbo (July 1993, SFC, 4,100,000)
- Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (September 1999, PS, 3,500,000)
- Resident Evil (March 1996, PS, 2,750,000)
- Dino Crisis (July 1999, PS, 2,400,000)
- Devil May Cry 4 (January 2008, PS3, Xbox 360, 2,300,000)
- Devil May Cry (August 2001, PS2, 2,160,000)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (February 2007, PSP, 2,150,000)
- Onimusha: Warlords (January 2001, PS2, 2,020,000)