Skyrim: Dawnguard – How to Join the Volkihar Vampire Faction
Looking for more Skyrim: Dawnguard strategies, secrets, and easter eggs? Check out Game Front’s video walkthrough app for iOS devices to get our extensive library of top-quality gaming video guides with hilarious commentary.
The ancient vampires have returned and they bring a whole new set of powers in this undead-themed DLC addition to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. In the Dawnguard DLC, you’ll have the option to join the Dawnguard, then betray them when you meet the nefarious Vampire Lord Harkon. He will offer to give you immense power, at the cost of your very humanity. If you’re willing to take the plunge, find out how to become one of the vile creatures and blot out the sun right here.
Survive Dawnguard with our walkthrough. To find everything extra like achievement guides, locations, glitches, and whatever else we can discover get yourself over to the Skyrim: Dawnguard DLC cheats page.
How to Join the Vampire Faction
- To join the deadly vampires, you’ll first need to start the DLC quest by joining the Dawnguard. Eventually, they’ll send you out to find out what the Volkihar are up to. It’s then that you can betray the Dawnguard and become a Vampire Lord.
- To join the Dawnguard, you must be level 10 or over and travel to any Capitol city on your map.
- In the city, you’ll find a new NPC called Durak. Speak with him to start the Dawnguard Quest, taking you to Dayspring Canyon and finally to Fort Dawnguard.
- When you arrive at the fort, complete the quest by talking to Isran and Vigilant Tolan who recruit you into the Dawnguard, and send you on your next quest Awakening.
- Eventually on the main chain of quests you’ll begin the “Bloodlines” quest after completing the “Awakenings” quest. You’ll be sent to rescue the daughter of Lord Harkon named Serana. Once rescued, she’ll take you to the secret hideout of the Volkihar Vampires called Castle Volkihar by using an entrance near High Rock.
- There, you’ll meet Serana’s father Lord Harkon. He’ll offer to turn you into a Volkihar Vampire to betray the Dawnguard. Choose to do so, but there are several options that may occur based on your current status.
- If you’re already a regular vampire from Skyrim, you cannot become a Volkihar Vampire. You’ll need to cure yourself first. To cure yourself, you can complete a quest that begins by speaking with any city guard after you’ve properly fed and don’t show any signs of vampirism.
- Also, if you’re a werewolf the Volkihar will cure you in favor of their own brand of vampirism. If you do become a Vampire Lord, you can still give up vampirism and become a werewolf again down the line.
- Volkihar vampires are not damaged by the sun, only weakened. Also, their hulking Vampire Lord form can be activated then deactivated at will.
- The new Volkihar still need to hide themselves in normal society, and must feed on blood either by feeding off sleeping NPCs. To do so, sneak up to a sleeping character then attempt to pick their pocket. Instead of stealing, you’ll be given the option to drink blood.