Skyrim: Dawnguard – How to Get Infinite Crossbow Bolts [Exploit]


Find Game Front’s extensive video library of Skyrim cheats and guides on our free mobile apps.
iOS video walkthroughs app
Droid video walkthroughs app


The powerful new crossbow weapon is primarily used by the Dawnguard faction in Skyrim’s first DLC expansion, but just like the crossbow, you’ll have to find more ammo. Limited arrows or bolts might be a problem, but thankfully Dawnguard also allows the player to craft their own bolts and arrows. Crafting still takes skill, so if you’re looking for free bolts to stock up before vampire hunting, we’ve got the method for you. It’s an old exploit from Skyrim, but it works all the same in Dawnguard and provides you with bolts instead of boring arrows. Check out the details below.

Survive Dawnguard with our walkthrough. To find everything extra like achievement guides, locations, glitches, and whatever else we can discover get yourself over to the Skyrim: Dawnguard DLC cheats page.

For more information on vanilla Skyrim, that involves a lot more killing, check out our text and video walkthrough. For more hints, tips, and secrets, stop by the cheats page.


How to Get Infinite Crossbow Bolts

  • Another glitchy exploit that was never fixed in the original Skyrim can still help you in the Dawnguard DLC with an all new weapon.
  • First of all, you’ll need to get yourself a crossbow. One can easily be obtained after reaching the fort in the first quest of the Dawnguard DLC titled “Dawnguard.”
  • The first quest will take you to Fort Dawnguard, where you’ll meet a man named Agmaer in Dayspring Canyon. Take note of him, and bring him with you to the fort.
  • Don’t complete the first quest yet; you can explore the fort. Look for Agmaer again, he’ll be practicing with a crossbow after his conversation with Isran.
  • He’ll constantly fire arrows at a target, and he has an infinite supply. You can collect the bolts he fires and store them for your own crossbow.
  • If you progress through the quests, Agmaer will continue to practice periodically but not as consistently as he starts.
  • Use this method to stock up early on bolts, or just farm them. You can wait in the same spot, leave the game running, and return later to collect the new bolts. He fires in 9 second intervals, so expect to wait around before you can find a good number of free bolts.
  • Later on, you’ll be able to find Agmaer practicing outside on the trees. These bolts can, again, be collected indefinitely. Not the most convenient method, but this is your best bet for free bolts on the X-box 360.

Got a better exploit? Tell us all about it in the comments!

Join the Conversation   

* required field

By submitting a comment here you grant GameFront a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate or irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin's discretion.

3 Comments on Skyrim: Dawnguard – How to Get Infinite Crossbow Bolts [Exploit]

magickmynd

On July 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Here is a better exploit. This is for higher level characters who have invested enough points in the pickpocket skill tree, enough points to be able to steal someone’s equipment. (this can be easily done with the cheat that allows you to reach max level using the Ogma Infinium, look it up if you don’t know what that is. You can start it at level 15 and be level 81 within a couple of hours or less depending on how much you want to prepare. Fair warning though, this will break the game and make it way too easy if you prepare too much.) Anyway, when in Fort Dawnguard after a bunch of new dawnguard soldiers have been recruited you can find an area of the fort that connects to a tunnel leading to dead drop falls. To the left of the entrance of that cave is a practicing arena for hunters using crossbows. There is usually someone there practicing, constantly firing bolts at target dummies for a certain amount of time,. Sneak up on one of these people (doesn’t take much sneaking skill, just high pick pocket skill) and steal whatever type of crossbow bolt they have equipped. You might want to save before trying though because even at 90% chance of a successful pickpocket there is still a 10% they will catch you.After snagging the equipped bolt, reverse pickpocket one of any kind of crossbow bolt you want more of. Personally I like the exploding dwarven fire bolts. Once you have reversed pickpocketed the bolt you want, the NPC will fire them non-stop at the target dummy. Retrieve the bolts after they have been fired, you now have an infinite supply. Since you know the location the npc’s will go to practice you can repeat this as much as you want by waiting near the dummies every few game hours or so (using the wait function by pressing select). Warning, crossbows fire very slowly for the npc’s so this will take time. It is faster just to make your own bolts if you have the necessary materials and skills. With a level 81 character you can max out 4 to 5 entire perks trees and halfway complete a few more. My character is 81 with maxed out enchanting, smithing, sneaking, light armor, and bows. While not maxed out I have significant points in speech and pickpocketing as well. With this character build I can buy or steel dwarven ingots and fire salts and make over 400 dwarven fire bolts in about 45 minutes, or faster if I just want regular steel bolts.

leevan vanquish

On November 22, 2012 at 12:53 am

Heres a way to get a crossbow low level,duras the dawnguard orc is walking through falkreath asking for volunteers for the dawnguard.I with a follower from riverwood followed him out of falkreath and ran up the road and set up an ambush,I killed him got crossbow,dawnguard shield and armour minus the helmet.I only got 15bolts however but i do have a crossbow.
As a side note,dwarven spheres carry dwarven bolts,the ruins of markath have loads to be found but be aware if you set the defences that a steam centurion is activated aswell

MBombchu

On February 26, 2014 at 1:32 pm

There is a muuch better way,
with which you can farm much more bolts !
you know in some towns there are guards shooting at targets.
If you steal their bow and arrow and give them a crossbow annd a bolt ,
you can also farm,cause they’ll also shoot all the time.the advantage is,that
if you are far enough in the quest to create your own crossbow, you could do
that with every guard,what is way more effective than just only farm with a single guy