Skyrim: Hearthfire – How to Adopt & Raise Children
Looking for more Skyrim strategies, secrets, and easter eggs? Check out Game Front’s video walkthrough app for iOS devices to get our extensive library of top-quality gaming video guides with hilarious commentary.
One of the new features in the Hearthfire expansion to Skyrim is the ability to adopt a child. Taking care of kids isn’t easy or cheap, and you’ll need to make all sorts of preparations so the kid has a good home to live in before the orphanage in Riften will give up any of its kids. You won’t even need a custom plot of land to adopt. Learn how to get your hands on a kid and how to raise them right with our tips below.
Want a spouse to give your kid a stable home? Find every love interest in Skyrim with our vast Marriage Guide.
There’s a lot more to Game Front’s Skyrim coverage; Find PC item codes, marriage options, easter eggs, an unlockable skeleton horse, and much, much more. Get lists of all the Elder Scrolls extras on Game Front with our Skyrim cheats, Dawnguard cheats, and Hearthfire cheats.
How to Adopt & Raise Children
WARNING: If purchasing a Children’s Room for a pre-existing home, dressers may be removed which can delete any stored items.
Prepare to Adopt
- Travel to any major city in a hold where you own a home. If you don’t have a home yet, find out where to buy the new Hearthfire plots of land with the Home-Buying Guide.
- There, you’ll eventually meet a courier. They’ll give you two notes; one telling you how to remodel your home to build a Child’s Room, and another asking you to consider adoption. Check out more details on the Home-Building Guide.
- Before adopting, you’ll need to remodel and create a Child’s Room. Doing so will replace your Alchemy Lab.
Adopting a Child
- Once you have a Child’s Room, and have the note from the courier, travel to Honorhall Orphanage in Riften.
- In the orphanage, talk to Constance Michel. Ask her about adoption. She’ll offer to send a kid to your default home.
- At the Orphanage, you can adopt three children.
- Francois Beaufort – Male Breton
- Runa Fair-Shield – Female Nord
- Samuel – Male Imperial
- Hroar – Male Nord
Additional Adoptable Children
- Aleson – Found in Dawnstar, near the Mines.
- Lucia – Found in Whiterun, on the streets.
- Sofie – Found in Windhelm, on the streets.
- Blaise – Found at Katla’s Farm, in the stables. The farm is located in Haafingar, off the main road from Solitude.
- Once a child is adopted, there are multiple ways you can interact.
- Children can be given chores, given presents, or played with.
- Children can be given five different types of apparel, with separate types of clothes for boys and girls: Red/Yellow/Green/Grey/Blue
- The Child’s Doll can be used to play with your female children.
- The Wooden Sword can be used to play with your male children. Can also be equipped as a regular sword.
If you’re looking for more downloadable expansion content, we’ve also got a full Dawnguard walkthrough. If you’re looking for all our vanilla Skyrim coverage, take a trip down to our text and video walkthrough.