SOE Reveals F2P Zombie Survival MMO, H1Z1
It’s official, SOE’s H1Z1 is a free-to-play zombie survival MMO set in a persistent world with deep crafting and a player-run economy. Sony took the wraps off of H1Z1 last night, promising to deliver the zombie apocalypse fantasy (or nightmare) of our dreams.
SOE President John Smedley revealed H1Z1 in an interview with Game Talk Live and later posted a detailed description of the MMO in the H1Z1 sub Reddit. Here’s what we know thus far:
- A virus, H1Z1, devastated mankind. The game is set 15 years after the outbreak and the world is now overrun by zombies.
- SOE says it’s massive open (larger than PlanetSide 2) world is a fictional middle American region built using the same engine used to design PlanetSide 2. The goal is to continue growing the world over time with new areas until H1Z1′s map is SOE’s own version of America.
- Players can shift between first and third-person view.
- There will be no level or skill systems.
- A deep crafting system will allow players to create a wide array of weapons and tools and build anything from a simple shelter to a massive fortress — if they can gather all of the resources. And yes, there is trading.
- Thousands of players will be able to play on an individual server and SOE says those players will directly shape the persistent world — its factions, economy, rules, etc.
- There will be animals and hunting.
- There will be a wide array of drivable vehicles. It’s up to players to get them up and running. Smedley said airplanes might be added in the future.
- There is fire, and players will be able to use it for light, cooking, crafting… and burning things down. Smedley said players will be able to burn down trees or even enemy bases.
- There is farming and players will be able to plant and grow their own crops.
- There will be built-in voice chat, including proximity voice and dedicated “gang” chat.
- H1Z1 will begin its early access launch on Steam in “four-to-six weeks.” Early access will likely be priced at $20. A PlayStation 4 version is in the works and will be released at a later date.