Sources Claim No Work On Prey 2 Since November

We now know that despite earlier rumors that the game had been cancelled, Prey 2 is indeed still in the works, it’s just been delayed to 2013. Excellent.

Now we have a little more insight into just why the confusion over the delay happened. It seems that it might very well have come close to being cancelled after all. A source Shacknews has tapped (but who asked not to be identified) claims that Human Head was unhappy with the terms of their contract with ZeniMax (AKA Bethesda), and essentially called an unofficial strike when they simply stopped working on the game. Many staffers were laid off immediately, and the fight dragged on until March.

The unnamed source has no current information after March 1, but that is the period of GDC, which the Prey 2 team were originally scheduled to attend but backed out. But what us clear is that though the fight seems to have been resolved, the hard feelings have not been. Note that Bethesda’s statement on the matter said: “The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards.” Translated from corporatespeak, it says “that’s what your mom said, Human Head”. If I were a betting man, I’d wager that we shouldn’t rule out the possibility of further disputes as the game progresses through development.

Join the Conversation   

* required field

By submitting a comment here you grant GameFront a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate or irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin's discretion.

1 Comment on Sources Claim No Work On Prey 2 Since November

Kiljoy616

On April 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Translated “we want a ME3 like game so that the any person on xbox can play it and buy tons of DLC” enough said. Dumb it down and Bethesda will be happy.