Spelunky: How to Unlock Every Secret Character
Spelunky is full of bizarre secrets, and while we can’t guide you directly thanks to the game‘s randomly generated levels, we do have a few tips to finding all the secret characters. Each character is found in a hidden coffin you’ll need to open, but how you open these coffins, and where you’ll find them — that’s the tricky part. Some are randomly generated, others will always appear in a hidden level. We’ll help you find those hidden levels and uncover the secret characters inside with a few tips, and a few videos. Goodluck!
For more tips on surviving Spelunky, take a trip to our Spelunky walkthrough where we’ll list our recommended strategies for survival. For more unlockable content like this, dive down to the Spelunky cheats page.
Unlock Every Character
SOMBRERO MAN / HARDHAT WORKER / ADVENTURE HOOD / PIRATE
MAN IN BLACK
- Find this spooky man in the Haunted Castle secret level.
- To find the Haunted Castle, you’ll need to go to the Jungle. Randomly, you can find a tombstone, below the tombstone you can find a skull with a crown.
- Use a bomb to blow up the skull to reveal the entrance to the Haunted Castle.
- To find this character, you’ll need to locate his coffin inside the secret level. Try to bomb your way through to find the coffin, or you’ll have to do battle with a deadly Black Knight to reach his coffin.
- Another secret character unlocked in the Worm Innards secret level.
- To get inside the giant worm, you’ll need to attach a Damsel to one of the sticky worm tongues inside the Jungle or Ice Cave. The Damsel does not need to be alive when you attach them.
- If you attach it correctly, wait a few seconds and the screen will rumble. Finally, a giant worm will eat everything in the entire screen — taking you into the secret Worm level.
- The Meat-Boy is usually at the bottom of the worm.
- The last character must be rescured from the secret Hell level. Getting to Hell won’t be easy. First, you’ll need to reach the City of Gold.
- Inside the City of Gold, find the Necronomicon and defeat the boss. Afterwards, you’ll need to find the door to Hell — located above the final boss’ lake of lava.