Square Shuts Down FFXI and FFXIV Servers To Conserve Power
In the wake of the devastating earthquake in Japan last Friday and the ensuing loss of power due to problems at Japan’s nuclear power plants, Square has announced that they have taken down the Final Fantasy XI and XIV servers to conserve power.
The servers went down over the weekend, and will remain offline for at least a week. To compensate for this, players will not be charged for any PlayOnline services throughout the April billing cycle.
Here are the details of what will not be available.
On the PlayOnline homepage:
- Friend List Plus
- FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
- PlayOnline Friend List Application
- Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu
Support services that will be unavailable:
- PlayOnline Password Recovery
- PlayOnline Account Cancellation
- All activities requiring the confirmation of personal information
While it’s unfortunate that these games are suffering from the aftereffects of the natural disaster, it’s hard to fault Square for doing as much as they can to curb power usage.