Star Wars Hits the Big 3-0
Star Wars turns 30 today, and I have a confession to make: I am a HUGE Star Wars nerd. Not in the extent as say a Trekkie or a Xena-file, but at one time in my life I came pretty close. Yes, I wore my hair in cinnamon bun braids to elementary school, and when I got older I even dressed in the metal bikini for Halloween. No you can not see pictures, I don’t want to get Ron excited. To commemorate this great movie, I wanted to share some fun fan art with you and talk a bit about the new game from Lucas Arts – Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- which will be coming to next-gen consoles sometime in the near future.
The game is set during the era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. You play as Darth Vader’s secret apprentice, and aid him in his quest to destroy the Jedi.
According to the official website: “The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force by taking full advantage of newly developed technologies that will be seen and experienced for the first time: Digital Molecular Matter (DMM), by Pixelux Entertainment, and euphoria by NaturalMotion Ltd. Paired with the powerful Havok Physics system, these new technologies create gameplay only possible on the new generation of consoles. DMM incorporates the physical properties of anything in the environment so that everything reacts exactly like it should – wood breaks like wood, glass shatters like glass, plants on the planet Felucia bend like plants on the planet Felucia would, and more”.
With a revolutionary “behavioral-simulation engine”, characters are able to move, act and even think like actual human beings, which means you will be able to react in any way possible, and change the outcome every single time.
- During the period between Episodes III and IV, players hunt Jedi in the role of Darth Vader’s Secret Apprentice.
- Unleash and upgrade the Secret Apprentice’s four core Force powers – Force push, grip, repulse and lightning – throughout the course of the game, and combine them for ultra-destructive, never-before-seen combos.
- Examples of unleashing the Force in ways never thought possible:
- The Secret Apprentice won’t just Force push enemies into walls – he’ll Force push enemies through walls.
- The Secret Apprentice won’t just Force grip foes to throw them aside – he’ll Force grip them in midair, zap them with lightning, then drop them to the ground to explode like a bomb.
- In addition to new adversaries created just for the game, such as fugitive Jedi and Force-sensitive Felucians, players will also confront and associate with familiar faces from the Star Wars films, including Darth Vader.
- Visit locations such as Episode III’s Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk and the floral Felucia, the junk planet Raxus Prime, plus an Imperial TIE fighter construction facility.
- Decisions made by players throughout the game will determine the path of the story, including multiple endings that will rock Star Wars continuity, as they know it.
- The Force Unleashed is LucasArts’ first internally developed title for next-generation consoles, and it represents the first in-game collaboration of talents and technology between LucasArts and Industrial Light & Magic, two companies now finally under one roof at the new Letterman Digital Arts Center in San Francisco’s Presidio district.
- The Force Unleashed debuts Digital Molecular Matter from Pixelux and euphoria behavioral simulation from NaturalMotion Ltd.
- LucasArts is preparing an unprecedented promotional effort around the launch of The Force Unleashed, encompassing a full line of toys and game-based action figures from Hasbro, as well as a full publishing program from Dark Horse, Del Rey and Palace Press.