State of Decay: Beginner’s Survival Guide
Table of Contents
Scavenging Materials – Where to Look & How to Keep it Coming
Scavenging is a time-consuming and dangerous proposition. To keep your base happy, you’ll need food, fuel, construction materials, ammo, and medicine.
In general, there are specific buildings you’ll want to look out for and specific containers you’ll want to loot to find these items.
Materials spawn randomly, but only in logical locations where they would be found in reality. Don’t bother looking for fuel in the fridge, and don’t check out the medicine cabinet looking for ammo.
In general though, these are loose recommendations. Snacks can be found almost anywhere, and you’ll be surprised to see where middle-class families are keeping their guns. Search every nook and cranny of a house before giving up.
- Buildings to Search: Homes, General Stores, Restaurants
- Containers to Loot: Counters, refrigerators, almost anywhere
- Buildings to Search: Gas Stations, Construction Sites, Barns, Auto-Repair, Warehouses, Fields
- Containers to Loot: Barrels, jerry cans
- Buildings to Search: Warehouses, Storage Sheds, Construction Sites, Hardware Stores, Fields
- Containers to Loot: Pallets of boxes, large wooden crates, toolboxes
- Buildings to Search: Homes, Barns, Gun Stores, Army Tents, the Police Station
- Containers to Loot: Metal lockers, shelves, cabinets, black boxes
- Buildings to Search: Pharmacies, Gas Stations, Homes, Veterinary Clinics
- Containers to Loot: Cabinets, thin white shelves, store counters