State of Decay: Easter Eggs
Want to see Plants vs. Zombies in your backyard? Find pop-culture zombie references galore hidden all throughout State of Decay, the survival simulator on XBLA and soon to release on PC. Instead of taking the action-packed Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead route, the creators of State of Decay put the focus solely on surviving the zombie apocalypse. It’s a dour game, but it’s never too serious thanks to a cavalcade of Easter eggs. There are too many references to count, but we’re going to try anyway.
Check out every reference and Easter egg we’ve found so far in the list below. If there’s anything we’re missing, drop us a comment and we’ll provide credit for your contribution.
There’s way more to discover in Trumbull County, check out all our guides and unlockables on the State of Decay cheats list. If you’re having trouble just getting started, give our State of Decay Survival Guide a look to learn how to build bases, how to keep survivors healthy, and what to do about those annoying hordes.
Sunflowers Vs. Zeds
- Pictured at the top of the page, a scene of the popular tower defense game Plants vs. Zombies can be seen in a backyard west of the Ascension Church.
“Everything’s coming up Milhouse!”
- Listen, some of your survivor’s a Simpsons fans. This random line is spoken sometimes by Sam, sometimes by others. No matter what, it’s hilarious.
- This immortal line was spoken by the eponymous Milhouse in the Season 10 episode “Mom and Pop Art” after his flood pants kept his cuffs dry during a flood.
Simon & Nick Landscaping
- Scattered around town are signs advertising their work. This is a reference to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, the two actors that played schlubby heroes in the horror-comedy Shaun of the Dead.
Grimes for Sheriff Poster
- If you’re a fan of The Walking Dead, you’ll recognize the name Rick Grimes. The former Sheriff’s Deputy never got a chance to run for Sheriff in the comic or the TV show.
Campbell Used Autos
- Cult B-movie fans love him; Bruce Campbell’s name became synonymous with the undead thanks to his portrayal as Ash in the Evil Dead Trilogy.
Kirkman / Savini Residence & Snyder Trucking
- Three more references; Robert Kirkman is the creator of The Walking Dead. Tom Savini is the make-up and special effects artist behind George Romero’s most famous zombie movies. Speaking of George Romero, Zack Snyder re-made his opus Dawn of the Dead and earned his place in the zombie pantheon.
Xbox 360 Owner
- Found that Plants vs. Zombies display in the backyard? Look inside the house itself to find an Xbox 360 slim in the bedroom.
The #1 Rule
- For reaching 7-stars in the Cardio attribute, players can earn this achievement. What was the lead character of Zombieland’s #1 Rule in case of a zombie apocalypse? Cardio.