State of Decay: Unlockable Skills Guide
Survivors in State of Decay can unlock specializations and powerful abilities, so check out the full list right here. No, the game doesn’t really explain this major feature, so if you’re scratching your head just keep scrolling down to find the full skills guide, with explanations for each skill and star requirements.
Every survivor will unlock some skills, but others are harder to get. Two unique abilities are only available to characters with the optional (and random) “Powerhouse” stat, or the even more mysterious “Reflexes” stat. You won’t find those on just every survivor you meet, so it’s important to keep these lucky discoveries alive.
If you’re not interested in getting eaten by hordes of zombies, learn more about this obscure action-survival-sim on our State of Decay Beginner’s Guide. If you’re in the market for more secrets, Easter eggs, and in-depth base building guides, check out the list of State of Decay cheats.
Unlockable Skills Guide
Find these skills by opening the menu (Up on the D-Pad) then scrolling to the Star symbol [RB].
Scroll down to view how many stars are in each skill, and continue to scroll down to find available specializations or unlockable abilities.
To select abilities, select them then press [X]. Hold down [X] to confirm.
- Blunt Weapons (Requires Fighting Level 4)
Master the use of Blunt Weapons (Knockdown Chance +%)
- Edged Weapons (Requires Fighting Level 4)
Master the use of Edged Weapons (Chance to Decapitate +%)
- Heavy Weapons (Requires Fighting Level 4)
Master the use of Heavy Weapons (Mighty Blow Chance +%)
- Pistols (Requires Shooting Level 4)
Master the use of Pistols (Rate of Fire +%)
- Revolvers (Requires Shooting Level 4)
Master the use of Revolvers (Stopping Power +%)
- Rifles (Requires Shooting Level 4)
Master the use of Rifles (Target Snap Distance +%)
- Assault Weapons (Requires Shooting Level 4)
Master the use of Assault Weapons. (Rifles and SMGs) (Control +%)
- Shotguns (Requires Shooting Level 4)
Master the use of Shotguns. (Kill Zone Size +%)
- Marathon (Requires Cardio Level 7)
You’re used to running long distances without tiring. Sprinting drains your Stamina 50% slower.
- Combat Endurance (Requires Cardio Level 7)
Decrestes the rate at which you lose Stamina in combat.
- Ninja (Requires Wits Level 7)
Removes locked doors and makes searching silent. Also lets you move faster while sneaking.
- Rage (Requires Fighting Level 7)
Gives you a small amount of Stamina back when you kill an enemy.
- Focus Aim (Requires Shooting Level 7)
Intense concentration makes the world around you slow to a crawl as you line up the perfect shot.
- Shove (Requires Powerhouse Level 4)
Slow shove guaranteed to knock enemies down.
- Power Kick (Requires Powerhouse Level 4)
Powerful kick that knocks back and staggers the target.
- Pro Wrestling (Requires Powerhouse Level 7)
Special counter that lets you bodyslam enemies.
- Double Kill (Requires Powerhouse Level 7)
Special counter that kills two nearby enemies.