State on StarCraft: Protoss Vs. Terran in HoTS
Your late-game priorities will be:
- 4th Base
- +4 Gateways
- +3 weapons, +3 armor [3/3]
- Dark Shrine
- Warp Prism, Warp Prism speed, proxy pylons
- Photon Cannons
- Shield Upgrades
It’s worth noting that high templar and cannons are an excellent drop defense in the late-game. Low in supply, a templar spread across bases gives blink-stalkers the freedom to be active across the map.
While charge, storm, and 2/2 allow Protoss to be more active on the map, 3/3 allows you to take the fight to the Terran. Dark templar, charge-zealots, and upgraded warp prisms give map control back to the Protoss player and allow for highly effective harass that can draw the opponent out of position. Proxy pylons allow for reinforcement mid-combat, letting Protoss overwhelm the enemy. With a 4th base and additional production, it is at this stage of the game that many Terrans fall apart. With all the necessary tools, all that’s left is to outplay the opponent.
Some tips for the end-game:
- Expand aggressively and take fights that favor you. Keeping high templar back allows you to retreat safely if things get dicey.
- Photon cannons at forward bases provide detection against cloaked ghosts in the worst-case scenario that Terran has killed off your observers.
- In a split-map situation, focus on multipronged harass and denying bases. If you can starve them out, your bank can win you the game.
Thanks for reading! Hopefully this helps some of you Protoss players out there. Below is a download link to a replay pack in which I execute this opening against FXODrunkenboi, coL.QXC, and Xenocider in the WCS Challenger League and SHOUTcraft America. If you’d like to catch me playing live, I stream at twitch.tv/statesc2 and announce broadcasts at twitter.com/statesc2. I’ll be playing in WCS Challenger League in the upcoming weeks, so be sure to tune in!
Note that SHOUTcraft America uses the GameHeart client, an observing interface still in development. There may be some minor glitches.