Super Pierre Bros. Oui Is Tres Bien
France has an incredible tech and gaming sector, which is why this just seems so, so right:
This stroke of genius is the latest illustration by artist Johnny Etc of Breakfast Safari. It recontextualizes Super Mario into a character based on French stereotypes rather than Italian and it completely blows one’s mind. Let’s take a second to imagine what the world would be like if Nintendo’s Flagship character were a laconic, Gallic existentialist instead of a boisterous Italian plumber:
* The Truffle Kingdom? I think so.
* A date with Madame Guillotine for Bowser (and, in the sequel, for the Princess)? Yes.
* Power ups including bottles of Beaujolais (to turn Super), Fleur-de-lis (bestowing the ability to fire deadly bon mots), and the Cross of Lorraine (for 1ups)?
Hell Yeah Enfer Oui!
* Coin Blocks that distribute Euros.
* Merci beaucoup, Pierre. Alas, our princess has, how do you say, moved on to another Chalet. C’est La Vie, eh, mon ami? C’est La Vie!
I imagine Mario leads a scrappy band of bitter, cynical patriots in a campaign of asymmetrical warfare against the Occupying Bowerians, ultimately culminating in the liberation of the Truffle Kingdom and the international success of Edith Piaf. WIN.
One thing is certain, this game would be completely La Merzz1!
1) it’s like ‘the shizz’, but en frances.