The Gamer’s Date Night Guide
If you’re on a date with someone with more of a competitive edge, you might want to step things up a notch. This isn’t a date for the traditional romantic, but more for the hard-nosed beer-drinkers among us. The ones who like cussing at the TV and spiking the controller in anger. Those people need love, too.
Cook It: Tenderloin Steaks
- 2 (1-inch thick) beef tenderloin steaks
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Pat pepper into both sides of the steak. Pour oil into a large skillet and set over medium heat; cook steak in hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side, or until steak reaches 160 degrees F (for medium). Place in a rimmed baking sheet, top with cheese, and cover with foil.
- Stir shallots, cognac, and crushed peppercorns into the skillet and turn heat to low. Add wine and broth. When mixture comes to a boil, simmer to reduce down to a sauce measuring about 1/2 cup–about 5 minutes.
- While sauce is reducing, uncover the cheese-topped steaks and broil for about 3 minutes, just to slightly melt the cheese.
- Serve each steak with sauce spooned on top.
Check out the original recipe at Man Tested Recipes.
Beer, dude, or maybe a nice Cabernet Sauvignon
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Yup, take the competition up to shooting-guys-in-the-head level. You can go head-to-head or take on 12-year-olds over the Playstation Network with Modern Warfare 2, or join forces in Spec Ops mode and take down lots of faceless soldiers with all manner of weapons. There are also a couple of other solid shooting people deathmatch options, like….
Gears of War 3
With its many massive cooperative options in the campaign, horde mode for some defensive team work, and chainsaw bayonets, Gears of War 3 can really help endear yourself to your potential mate.
Another easy deathmatch title that gets players quickly into games with a splitscreen setup and access to Xbox Live is Halo: Reach. Just be aware of the millions of stupidly good snipers out there.
Alternatives: The Madden franchise