The Open File: Files from the Front August 31, 2007
The Open File returns this week with a spotlight on 4 new files from the FileFront network sites. These choice maps and mods are recommended to FileFront and Gaming Today readers by the folks who run the various Files sites in the FileFront family.
This week we have:
- A new beta mod for Battlefield 2142 that promises some wildly different future warfare
- A modification for Battlefield 1942 that throws reality out the window for a little added fun
- A mod for Warhammer 40K Dawn of War: Dark Crusade that reestablishes the balance in the Gothic future.
- The addition of choice vacation spots for your daring adventurers in Oblivion
Recently launched, the Rise of Hades Beta preview adds three new maps, modifies or adds some new vehicles and tweaks some of the Battlefield 2142 gameplay. Those unsure about where this mod is heading should definitely check out the Rise of Hades preview video. I love the smell of EMPs in the morning and what’s up with the stealth tanks anyway?
Return the the beaches of Normandy and the dusty sands where once the Desert Fox roamed in this over-the-top mod for the calssic Battlefield 1942. Featuring a plethora of changes to vehicles and some modifications to the original maps that shipped with the title, Pure Chaos promises to return the fun of 30 on 30 land wars in Europe.
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War: Dark Crusade:
This massive modification of Dark Crusade brings the Gothic horror of the future into even clearer focus as the forces of Chaos and Order foight it out with new weapons. Lights of the Warp is a stand alone modification but it does require version 1.2.0 of Warhammer 40K DoW: Dark Crusade.
Here are just a few of the changes in this outstanding addition to Dark Crusade:
- – Includes the “Heroes” Mod (v1 & v2). Original Version by Cuttershane & DoWAI’s team. French translation and Lights of the Warp Compatibility by the LotW Team.
- Squad now gain experience in combat.
- Added a new victory condition: “Extermination”.
- –> Eliminate all enemy units and buildings. Give no quarters.
- Mod now fully compatible with DC 1.2 (such a work!)
- Game menues have been partially redone.
- You are no longer able to play skirmish or multiplayer while under Lights of the Warp CMP.
- You are no longer able to play campaign while under Lights of the Warp.
- Numerous balance changes.
- Space Marines:
- Devastator’s Plasma Cannon now require the second HQ Addon.
- Bikes’ speed have been doubled.
- Bikes are no longer able to capture SPs but can still uncapture them.
- Chaos Space Marines:
- Horrors Squad can no longer be reinforced.
- Imperial Guard:
- Kasrkin Strike Team (new unit).
–> Available at Aerial Command.
–> Five Kasrkins geared with Plasma Guns, Aerial Assault’s specialists.
- Slightly decreased the Grey Knights’ cost (60r/30p instead of 60r/60p).
- Flamers now require a Tactica Control.
- Meltagun now require a Company HP.
- Execution ability have been extended to the whole IG Infantry (including Ogryns and Special Weapons).
- Strip Soul’s damage have been increased to their previous value (250 -> 300) and restored its
15% backfire chances.
- Harlequin Troupe
–> New icons for the Troupe, the Troupe Master, the SHadowseer and the “minor” Harlequins.
–> Doubled the Ranged Damage of the Death Jesters.
–> Troupe Master now detect infiltrated units.
- Doubled the Dark Reapers Ranged Damages.
- Greatly increased the ranged damages of the Fire Dragons.
- Rangers’ squad size is now from 1 to 10.
- The previous versions’s AI Bug has been fixed (finally!!! ).
- Randomized Nobz, Shoota Boyz and Slugga Boyz (by Medes).
- Krootox and Devilfish’s Hardcap Removed.
- Destroyer Lord.
–> Fully reworked.
–> 2200 HP instead of 1250.
–> Hardcap: 1.
–> Actually uses the Hero UI.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion:
You’ve spent hours and hours exploring the depths of caves and the dank tombs of Cyrodil, maybe its time for a little vacation? This add on for Oblivion serves to remap and enhance the existing beauty of the various beaches in the Imperial domain with a new division of the north coast. Visit the Anvil Cliffsides, The Lost Coast and Oyster Bay today to experience the awe and grandeur of Tamriel’s natural beauty. Oh and also make sure you’re running Oblivion 1.1 or newer or bad things might happen to you.
This mod is part of the Oblivion Unique Landscapes project.