The Secret World Beginner’s Guide
Table of Contents
Kingsmouth Town Missions
- While inhabiting a body, you’ll get a glimpse at the events that transpired in Tokyo. Strange black gunk coats the surfaces of the subway station, and apocalyptic events are occurring.
- You’ll appear next to three unique Secret Worlders from all three factions. They’ll be your team, and will help you survive here.
- This also functions as your combat tutorial, so pay attention to what your allies say, they’ll periodically unlock new combat abilities for you.
- Starting off, you’ll need to accept the quest. To accept a quest, click on the float square by a quest-giver’s NPC. The window will expand to give you a description of the quest. Next, click “Accept” on the top right corner of the window.
- For our next trick, you’ll learn about clicking objects. One of the biggest parts of every quest is figuring out what you can interact with, especially with Investigation missions down the line.
- First, grab the shotgun on the ground. It’s highlighted in bright yellow, as most clickable objects will be throughout The Secret World.
- Picking up the Shotgun will auto-equip it on your character, and give you two attack powers in your quickbar. Press  and  to shoot. After a short scene you’ll need it.
- Infected Filth burst through the vents and swarm you. Point yourself at the enemies and fire your shotgun, it’ll do damage to multiple opponents. Your first attack has an instant recharge and hurts enemies in a cone forward of you, so keep shooting. The second attack takes longer to fire and has a recharge of a second or so, but does more damage. Use it to supplement your first attack.
- There are lots of things here you won’t need to understand yet. Weapons can cause several status effects, and certain attacks build weapon resources. Those are big words saved for later, just kill off the Infected.
- When the Infected are gone, the gate will open. Follow your team deeper inside the station. Taking a right, you’ll fight more of the monsters on the stairs, then you’ll stop at the gate.
- At the gate, the Secret Worlders will ask you to take point down on the train platform. You’ll unlock a new ability default  that fires a slowing flame in an arc ahead of you.
- The tricky part of the platform is that you don’t want too many of the Filth attacking you at once. Rush in, and try to catch as many as you can in each of your shots to damage multiples. If you start taking too much damage, and your health goes into red, retreat or hide behind one of the pillars of news stands.
- If the Filth attack you while you’re still hiding, they’ll be close and easy pickings for your shotgun. When they’re all clear, continue to follow your team.
- On the other side of the platform, you’ll unlock a fourth shotgun ability. This is a consumer ability, it consumes weapon resources. Next to every enemy, you’ll see five gray symbols. Each attack you land will add to the counter, filling up at five. Those are called weapon resources.
- Weapon resources are used by powerful abilities. You’ll need at least one to use your new ability, but it will be most effective if you build up five weapon resources, then fire.
- You’ll get your chance to test theory ahead, follow the waypoint to the gate and a giant brute will burst through. Retreat back to the platform, you’ll notice a white cone on the ground before it attacks. Most enemies will give you a short warning, with white outlines showing you where the danger will land.
- In situations where you can see an attack coming, use your dodge roll to escape the area of effect. Just double-tap the direction key to move out of the way. Your dodge has a cooldown, so make it count.
- Take out the hulk, then continue through the now open gate. Run to the tracks, and use the rubble to enter the subway train car. Run right down, and a new character will appear.
- This guy, Zuberi, gives you a healing power. In The Secret World, you have an Offensive Target and a Defensive Target. Offensive Targets are attacked, but Defensive Targets are buffed or healed.
- Make the dead Orochi Soldier’s body your defensive target back clicking him, then use your new healing to save his life and complete another objective.
- When you’ve rescued the soldier, your three friends will appear as the train doors open. Run through to the platform, and enter a massive fight against tons of Filth.
- This can be a difficult battle, if you don’t heal. Stop targeting the Orochi Soldier, just click on the ground to deselect him. Then, whenever you use the new healing ability, you’ll use it on yourself.
- Heal often when you need it to stay alive, and you’ll make it through this fight. Keep running, and don’t let the hulking filth brutes attack you up close.
- When the first wave is done, your team will point out the gates are opening out. Ignore all the enemies now, they’ll just keep coming. Run through the newly opened gates and follow your waypoint to the final platform to complete this combat tutorial.
- When you wake up, run around a little to get your next quest.