Torchlight 2: Easter Eggs & References
Get more Torchlight 2 cheats and game guides like this on the Game Front video game walkthrough app where the latest easter eggs and extras are uploaded daily.
GameFront Video Walkthroughs app for iOS
GameFront Video Walkthroughs app for Android
Taking a page from Diablo’s pop-culture loving developers Blizzard, Torchlight 2 is stuffed with clever, cute, and completely gross easter eggs. Buyer beware, because we’re going into spoiler territory here. Don’t say we didn’t warn you. If you’re eager to hear about all the goofy secrets Torchlight 2 has to offer, check out the expanding list below. And if you’ve found something new, let us know and we’ll add it.
Easter Eggs & References
- Wait until you reach Act 3. When there, continue doing quests as normal until you’re told to go to the Sundered Battlefield.
- In the battlefields, run up to the very northern edge of the map. All the way up to the top. Near the tip, you should find the entrance into a dungeon called “Notch’s Mine”. Notch is the handle of Markus Persson, a co-founder of Mojang and one of the original developers of Minecraft.
- Inside this very small dungeon you’ll find a handful of evil Creepers — infamous Minecraft enemies that hide in the shadows and explode when they get close.
- At the end of the dungeon, you’ll also find a treasure chest. Inside, you’ll find a very unique weapon called the Iron Sword.
Resident Evil 4
- An early vendor resembles the stranger from Resident Evil 4, opening his jacket to reveal his wares in a similar manner.
- Early in Torchlight 2, you can find a dungeon called Plunder Cove. You can access the area after finding a Lantern in the Temple Steppes.
- It’s clearly a reference, as inside you can find the body of “Chester Cobblepot” who will drop a unique item called “One Eyed Willy’s Other Eye”.
Silence of the Lambs
- In the Frosted Hills, you can find a special dungeon full of Bandits.
- Inside you can find a bucket attached to a rope near the hole. Clicking it will prompt you to “Put the lotion in the bucket.”
- If you can find the lotion nearby and click on the bucket again, you’ll discover “Buffalo Bill’s Hide Mask” a reference to the serial killer in the movie who would cut off women’s skin to wear.
John Carpenter’s The Thing
- Again, in the Frosted Hills you can find this special dungeon homage to The Thing. Inside, you’ll find a book with notes from Blair, a character in the film.
- Later, you’ll find a boss in the form of a transforming Netherfiend, a reference to the movie where the alien would take the shape of the humans it killed.
- Later, you’ll get a key to the Kennel, with more wolves inside that also turn into Netherfiends, a reference to the transforming monster dog in the movie.
- Finally, you can find a special weapon at the end called “Macready’s Shotgun,” a reference to Kurt Russell’s character.
Borderlands 2 [Via Claymore in the comments.]
- Claptrap, the one-wheeled and one-eyed robot from Borderlands 2, can be found while completing the quest in the Scrapworks.
Army of Darkness [Via Kevin in the comments.]
- There’s a unique shotgun titled the “Boomstick” with the text description exclaiming, “Listen up you primitive screwheads!”
- This is a reference to B-movie legend Bruce Campbell’s character ash in the horror-comedy sequel to Evil Dead 2 “Army of Darkness” in which Ash is sent back in time with his signature shotgun.
Find more extras, tips, cheats and secrets with Game Front’s Channel on Youtube, featuring Zac, Mitch, and James.