Treyarch Drops Update for Black Ops Multiplayer
Treyarch has been updating Call of Duty: Black Ops every day or two since it was released and garnered insane sales figures, and yesterday’s update was a pretty big one, with significant changes made to both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 editions, and a couple in the works for PC as well.
Most of the changes are the same between both platforms, and are principally geared toward fixing issues with the online multiplayer mode. And not a moment too soon, as multiplayer for Xbox 360 (where I’m playing) has been frustratingly busted when searching for games with more than three friends.
It’s not clear whether connectivity issues between players have been fixed (which seems to be the culprit behind the problems with party matchmaking I just mentioned), as all the updates are a bit vague. Treyarch does make it sound like everything should be running better, however.
- Improved matchmaking to find matches significantly faster
- Improved matchmaking to ensure that players are more effectively matched to games with the best networking conditions
- Improved host selection to ensure that the best host is always selected in the pre-game lobby
- Improved party system to ensure that parties don’t get broken apart
- Disable ability to join Private Match, Combat Training and Theater lobbies when searching for Player Match games
- Server-side and game-side changes to decrease the amount of failed Film uploads
- Weekly and Monthly leaderboards will now track all kills, deaths and assists properly (All Time leaderboards were not affected by this)
- Prevention of Combat Training stats getting crossed with Player Match stats under rare conditions
- Prevention of temporary loss of functionality when a button was being held down at the point of a disconnect
There’s also another update in the works right now to fix some minor glitches — like Valkyrie missiles basically exploding in the launcher (I’d love to see video of that), the helicopter gunship going all Skynet and refusing to give the player control, and players being teleported into some kind of outside-the-map endless Purgatory.
And PC gamers have a few graphical and online search fixes coming, as well as a fix to make Zombies sessions stop becoming “unavailable,” when they’re really totally available and just lying to you. Get the list of PC updates here.