Tribes: Ascend Patch Due Today Brings New Guns, Maps
The gun is called Twinfusor, a version of the game’s ubiquitous spinfusor disc-based explosive weapon. It comes in three different versions — light, medium and heavy — and fires a pair of discs in succession before reloading. The result is something like an explosive double-barrel shotgun, but the two shots are staggered.
Also in the update come a pair of new maps. The first, “Permafrost,” puts heavy emphasis on generator defense because it includes a “dynamic” flag stand. In short: if your generator is running, the flag is inside the base structure; if it goes down, the flag gets sent outside, where it’s much harder to defend.
The second map is called “Dangerous Crossing,” a legacy map from the first Tribes game. It includes dense fog banks and a huge bridge that connects the two bases across a giant chasm. (A third map usually reserved for Team Death Match, Stonehenge, also has been added to the CTF rotation.)
The patch also comes with a ton of balancing changes, which we’ve listed below, plus new cosmetic voice packs and skins, a new party system that lets friends link together before joining games, and quite a few other cool improvements. Hi-Rez Studios says the Tribes servers will be down for several hours today in order to implement the patch, but from the sounds of things, it’s worth it. Check out the trailer below, which explains a number of the alterations.
- Three new weapons have been added: The Pathfinder’s Light Twinfusor, the Soldier’s Twinfusor and Juggernaut’s Heavy Twinfusor.
- Stonehenge has been added to the standard CTF map rotation.
- A new CTF Map, Permafrost, has been added to custom servers.
- A new CTF Map, Dangerous Crossing, has been added to custom servers.
- New Players joining the queue (under rank 6) will now play a smaller subset of maps more friendly to learning the game.
- All maps will rotate for players rank 6 and over.
- Players are more likely to be grouped in matches with other players of their same level/rank.
- Players may now create a party of their friends before joining the Quick Match queues.
- Access through the popout tab on the Play Now option.
- The Leader may send invites to friends and others by name.
- Members can chat together in and out of game, and are notified when the Leader joins or leaves a queue.
- Members are removed from the party automatically if they leave the queue or game.
- Three new skins have been added: Pathfinder Freerunner, Brute Crusher, Sentinel Spectre
- Voicepacks are now available to purchase. Four are available, two female and two male.
- Players may now add a Clan Tag in front of their player name. Tags may be purchased under the Store menu.
- Additional loadout slots have been added.
- News Items now display in the main game lobby as a ticker at the bottom of the screen.
- Increased self-knockback (“disk-jumping” or “rocket-jumping”) on all explosive projectile weapons by 20%.
- Increased projectile collision size on all Spinfusors, Bolt Launchers, and Thumpers to 10 (as a reference, Plasma Guns are 35). This will make mid-airs and direct hits more forgiving.
- Decreased the extra delay between bursts on Pathfinder’s LAR from 0.16s to 0.072s.
- Increased damage by 8% on Doombringer’s Titan Launcher.
- Increased radius on each explosion sequence of Brute’s Gladiator.
- Increased damage 33% on final explosion sequence of Brute’s Gladiator.
- Decreased starting AOE range on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.
- Decreased damage on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.
- Reduced duration of Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 1s.
- Reduced damage on Infiltrator’s Jackal so it can no longer 1 shot an upgraded medium from stealth. This is a 16% reduction.
- Reduced knockback on Infiltrator’s Jackal by half for each explosion.
- Increased starting ammo counts on Infiltrator’s Smoke Grenade and Prism Mine from 1 to 2. Infiltrator now starts with all belt options having an ammo count of 2.
- Reduced knockback from Pathfinder’s Impact Nitron and Compact Nitron’s by 23% to be more in line with the amount of damage being done, and to favor using the increased values on spinfusors and other projectile weapons.
- Reduced knockback from Raider’s White Out grenade, Grenade Launcher, Arx Buster and Dust Devil to be more appropriate for the number of shots and amount of damage being done.
- Reduced reload time on Doombringer’s Titan Launcher from 1.8 to 1.7.
- Reduced reload time on Doombringer’s Heavy Bolt Launcher from 1.8 to 1.7.
- Increased damage on Soldier’s Proximity Grenade by 16%.
- Reduced damage 4% on Doombringer’s Chain Cannon.
- Reduced damage 5% on Doombringer’s Chaingun.
- Reduced starting ammo from 280 to 200 and upgrades from 50 to 25 ammo (each) on Doombringer’s Chaingun and Chain Cannon.
- Reduced damage 5% on Technician’s Rockwind SMG.
- Increased damage 14% on Doombringer’s Defective Frag Grenade.
- Increased damage 13% on Doombringer’s Frag Grenade.
- The Close Combat perk’s backstab bonus has been increased to double damage, and is now the first unlock for the perk.
- The Looter Perk has been increased to provide a base 50% ammo bonus, and upgrades to 100%.
- The Sonic Punch Perk has had its shockwave distance increased by 23%.
- The Stealthy Perk now reduces base sensor detection by 50%, upgraded to 90%, and the upgrade for turret targeting delay has been increased to 30%.
- The Safefall perk now starts at 50% falling and splat damage reduction, and is upgraded to immunity from all falling and splat damage. In addition, its final unlock has been increased from 80% vehicle run over damage reduction to immunity from vehicle run over damage.
- Added an option under “HUD” to disable screen cracking when taking damage.
- Base XP is now earned on Custom Servers at all times. “Performance XP” is earned once 6 people join the server.
- Fixed an issue where mines could be indestructible by AOE blasts if placed in certain places in various maps.
- Flag model no longer shows in first-person spectate mode.
- Spectators can now zoom in and out when viewing a vehicle.
- Fixed an issue where the camera could look strange if spectating in first-person mode and the view target entered a vehicle.
- Fixed an exploit where the Pathfinder’s Thrust Pack could have unlimited thrust energy.
- Fixed an issue where shotguns would only reload one ammo when performing an inactive reload.
- Fixed an issue where the sound on the Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle would cut out when firing repeatedly.
- Fixed an issue where guns that deal multiple damage per shot, such as shotguns, properly display damage numbers when shooting objectives and vehicles. Before the fix, the numbers would draw on top of each other making it seem like there was only a single instance of damage.
- In the VGS menu, the labels for “Turrets” and “Sensors” were swapped under the upgrade commands.
- Fixed an issue where the detection radius of a Base Radar Sensor was not increasing as it upgrades.
- Fixed not being able to log in after being disconnected from the server.
- Fixed a problem with deployable and pack ammo not showing correctly on the HUD.
Variety of map cleanups.