Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Bugs – Black Screen, Error Codes and FPS Drops
For the most part, it seems like users jumping into Star Wars: The Old Republic are joining BioWare’s brand-new MMO without too much difficulty. But a few players are seeing some troubles as they load up the game for the first time. There aren’t too many solutions just yet, but BioWare is keeping track of problems on its forums so they can be dealt with.
Black Screen of Death
Some users are complaining of an issue in which they’re stuck with a blank black screen while playing. It doesn’t seem to be a driver issue, either — some players say they have two copies in their households on two systems with the same specs, and one system will suffer from the issue while the other one skirts it. Updating drivers doesn’t seem to help the issue for the ones dealing with the black screen issue.
There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of help from BioWare on the issue just yet, but users are piling their complaints in this forum post.
Here’s another one that is getting a lot of reports but hasn’t been picked up by BioWare or Electronic Arts just yet. Users are saying that they’re loading up the game and seeing some massive frame-rate slowdown on the game, especially compared to other games like World of Warcraft or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. There also doesn’t seem to be much in the way of a common thread for users, either — some people are just having some FPS problems with the game. This isn’t a problem for everybody, though, but a lot of people are having trouble with the issue.
Again, BioWare hasn’t jumped on board of this one, but if you want to report the issue, a lot of people are doing so on this thread.
Sounds like Error 9000, a connection problem that finds players unable to connect or kicked out of SWTOR mid-session. The forum thread in which people are throwing down this trouble makes it sound like it could be a router or firewall issue. There are some possible fixes listed on the forum thread, and we’re including a few steps that might help below:
- 1. running the launcher in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 / Vista service pack 2 as an administrator.
- 2. Reset your router to fabric settings. / set your firewall settings to low.
- 3. Open your Ports router/ firewall. The port numbers that are required are 8995, 12000-12999 and 20000-30000 (TCP).
If that doesn’t help, hit this forum thread and try some of the other solutions, or leave your own troubles and wait for a response from BioWare.
It seems Error Code 7 is an issue with DirectX, from BioWare’s response to the issue. BioWare says that if you’re having this trouble with the game, you should post your DXDiag file in this forum thread. First off, BioWare says you should follow these steps to make sure you’re up to date:
- You should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. For further details please check here.
- Check that your Graphics card and Sound card have the most recent drivers installed. For instructions on how to update your Graphics card please see here, for Sound cards please see here.
- You should check that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system, including optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.
- Check the minimum specifications of the game, to determine whether your computer may experience difficulties running the game.
After that, hit the forum and follow the steps listed to gather your DXDiag file, then post it on the forum thread.
If you’ve got other issues — or better yet, if you find some solutions to these ones — share them in the comments so other players can benefit from your wisdom.