Watch Dogs Mod Update Fixes Performance Issues
When modders first discovered disabled E3 content in the PC version of Watch Dogs, the inevitable question was why it wasn’t included to begin with. According to Ubisoft, it’s because these ultra-level textures weren’t optimized for the majority of PCs, and could cause game-breaking performance issues. That’s certainly a fair statement, but one that might not stand the test of time: A new update to TheWorse’s mod seems to have fixed stuttering issues associated with ultra-level textures, along with various other improvements.
The current version of the mod is 0.8, although TheWorse notes that it shouldn’t be considered working until 1.0. Regardless, if these fixes work as advertised it would go a long way towards making Watch Dogs look like it’s E3 iteration. A full changelist is included below.
- Choose if you want a light DOF, a strong DOF, or to be Default (disabled)
- Choose different bloom presets (E3 Bloom, Light Bloom or Default)
- Choose different types of colour grading (E3, Default, Red-Ish or Blue-Ish)
- Choose if you want default lensflares, anamorphic lensflares or SpotLight Volumes (volumetric light)
- Use a texture patch made by MalDo (Thank you so much!) for reducing stuttering!
- Headlight shadows have been fixed
- Lighting have been changed
- Pharmacy Lighting has been slightly changed.
- E3 Wind environment added
- Particle respawn time reduced to be able to see more fog and smoke in streets.
- Problems and Bugs related to HDR should be fixed
- Fully integrated to Ubisoft’s patch (No effects or shaders have been disabled)
- Included several high textures from the game to be used instead of low quality ones.
- Rain, bloom, ssao changes
That’s an impressive number of updates a mere week after the mod began circulating. We still have to see if it’s compatible with most systems, but there’s certainly a precedent for it; this isn’t the first mod to improve the PC version of a game, after all. We’ll keep you posted on additional details.
Source: PC Gamer