Xbox 360 Failure Rates at 16% According to SquareTrade
Estimates for the failure rate of Xbox 360 systems have been all over the map, from Microsoft’s 3% to as much as 33%. It’s hard to trust any of the data, as Microsoft isn’t like to come out and show a large number, and the accounts of GameStop employees just don’t seem like solid evidence.
Cue SquareTrade, a company that sells warranties for electronics. Based on data they’ve gathered from their own warranties, they estimate the failure rate of the Xbox 360 to be 16.4% — quite a bit higher than their 3% failure rate estimate for both the Wii and PlayStation 3. 60% of those hardware failures for the 360 were the oh-too-common Red Rings of Death. (I bet a large chunk of the remaining 40% has to do with drive failures.)
If SquareTrade CEO Steve Abernethy is accurate, things are only going to get worse for Xbox 360 owners.
“It is reasonable to believe these failure rates will increase over time, since the Xbox 360 failure issues tend to increase with prolonged use where overheating appears the main culprit,” he said. As 1UP notes, Abernethy stated that the company doesn’t track the different versions of the console, but he “would estimate most if not all were the original motherboard.”
I’m too paranoid about being jinxed, so I won’t speak about my own personal experience. What do you think about this 16% figure? Is it too low or too high? Share your own RRoD/console-biting-the-dust stories in the comments.