I may have found a bug in the AI for Battlefield 1942 and have attempted to fix it. I have compiled the changes I have made into a small mod.
What I really need is for a few people to test this mod and tell me if the AI is performing better than it used to.
I have uploaded the mod here: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/danproject/aienable.htm
Could you please give us a hint on what this bugfix would do? Does it affect submarines or certain planes or the bazooka? Or bot routes on a specific map?
Do we have to test ALL maps or ALL vehicles on ALL maps to find out if something has changed?
FYI: AI behaviour re. Bazooka and Sherman (old versions) and several RtR vehicles are known bugs which people have fixed by themselves (in the meantime). The community would be glad if you found another bug though. And thankful ;)
he did change the ai names for infantry he spelled them correctly although i do not know if this will affect gameplay because my understanding is as long as its the same exact word it will still work ie the ai weaps and the name of the ai in the weap has to be the same regardless of how its spelled so i agree with Recruit how does this work and what do we look for did you notice a change and how big of a change
what rtr bug fixes are for rtr Recruit
Thanks ;) It's the "Infantery" typo bug in the AI files for some RtR vehicles, check the M3GMC, the AT guns, the little Italian tank (I don't exactly remember which ones were affected, I fixed it my game install and don't have a "clean" RtR install anymore). That's the old "Sherman" bug, and Dice did it again ;)
Any differences are going to be subtle at best. The mispelling of 'Infantry' would presumably mean that the AI would have no target priority for soldiers with many of the weapons. This would mean that the AI would either not shoot at soldiers with many weapons, or if a default value is used, be the last thing an AI player would shoot at.
I'll have to check again, but I don't recall AI planes shooting each other down before I made the changes. They used to just wheel around in the air, never firing.
Something I find really annoying is the AI doesn't seem to understand how long to fire a burst weapon. It kind of spurts a 3 or 4 bullets and then sits around for ages. I wonder if there is a variable controlling how many bullets are fired per burst?
List of files with 'Infantery' that were corrected: ai/Behaviours.con ai/GenericPathFinding.con bf1942/Game/AIbehaviours.con Objects/Vehicles/Land/Chi-ha/AI/Weapons.con Objects/Vehicles/Land/Sherman/AI/Weapons.con Objects/Vehicles/Sea/PrinceOW/AI/Weapons.con Objects/Vehicles/Sea/Yamato/AI/Weapons.con
;) Only problem seems to be ... did DICE make consistent typos like in passanger/passenger in the vehicle .con files. There they didn't mix it up ...
did any body try this out yet i put the ai.rfa and the game ai rfa and it crashes i made all the other cahanges already except ships forgot to look there (good job) i took the game ai back out and my mod works but not with it in ill try his mod by itself
I remember I tried something like that some time ago (after we found the Sherman and the Bazooka bug), I mean editing the game/ai files. There were not just text files, they (or some of them) looked like tables (formatted). So I *guessed* I'd have to insert a space whenever I took one "e" out of "Infantery", right after "Infantry" since the game would read a table, not a text file like the .cons. I must have made mistakes or left something out, my game also crashed (on map load, as far as I remember, but at different loading stages depending on how many changes I had made). I didn't finish my work ...
I'll have to look for my old files - that was in my BF1942 1.0 install ... but I hope this info helps in case you'll try that. Maybe I was totally wrong though ;)
yea i thought of looking at old compared to new versions to see what has been changed ai wise but i got bored its over my head lol so im just concentrating on the ai in the .cons i changed that infantry thing for the ships and loaded iwo jima but it still did not fire main guns at the island although i got muras ah1 and i think the ah64 firing its rockets so im going to keep at it lol the ai intriques me and anything to make it better is worth a try to me
as always you are a big help ty
I posted a thread about AI fixes awhile back and got no responses, so I've been working on my own for awhile. I now have a totally different single player game from the out of the box version. Glad to see someone else looking into this stuff besides me. Here is some stuff I've learned:
1) If you want to understand what the bots are thinking (and why they act so damn stupid sometimes), open up a file called aidefault.con. Change a line to read like this:
Now you can see what is running through the AI's little pea brain (on certain maps anyway - like Bocage, don't know why this is). From this I learned that their instructions come from aibehaviors.con in Game.rfa. I think that many of the files in the "AI" folder are test files used to design the AI, not actually used by the game itself.
2) You can have vehicle specific bot ai priority weightings by making tables specific to the vehicle. For example, if you look in aibehaviors.con, there is a table called planeweights. Unfortunately, DICE never finished the game and NEVER calls that table. In my game, I do, and I have weights to help keep the planes from crashing into each other when they dogfight. DICE now has a one size fits all AI for all vehicles and ground soldiers, which causes MANY, MANY problems. IMHO, this is a very important find. Among many other things, the stock game plane collision avoidance routines are pathetic, the planes will keep shooting at the plane in front of them until they crash into it, because they never get the instruction to Avoid. You can see all this stuff for yourself if you enable the stats for the AI as shown above. I was flying blind for more than a month until I found that switch, now I'm making MUCH better progress on fixes. I basically scrapped all my earlier work and recently started over with what I learned from those stats.
3) The plane collision avoidance routine is rem'd out and is disabled in aibehaviors.con.
4) There is a Lookahead value for collision avoidance that is used by some of the ships, that is not present but can be used for planes and other vehicles as well. It's in the Objects.con in the AI folder for the ships. I've had to add it to all the planes. The ship value is 15, which is too close for the fast moving planes. I'm using 90 for now, but may adjust it some more (just found this).
5) The weapon values for minimum range and maximum range in each vehicles AI folder are for how far the AI can sense targets. I thought that if I set a high minimum value, the planes would stop getting so close to the other plane target while shooting - it didn't work. I haven't found a switch like that yet, so I use the various table weightings to approximate what I want.
You mentioned a change in plane behavior, but I didn't see anything in your mod that would affect how the bots would use planes. They will shoot at each other fine in the stock game, the problem is they keep shooting until they crash into the other plane. The firing priority weights for ALL of the bots are coming from the StandardWeights table, where it is set at 7.5.
Good luck and thanks for the post. Hope more people join in...
I added the battleships to Iwo and Midway SP maps, and they occasionally will just pound the island and each other with main guns. Not sure what they are shooting at on the island, but they were sure shooting at something. I haven't changed anything in the files to have this happen.