msap

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

19th January 2004

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

i'm trying to get the HD from Secret Weapons to work in a BF1945 map but it doesn't seem to work. I got it working in Battlecraft, placement etc. just like the PT boat. The problem is that the PT is already in BF1945 after 1.5 and the HD sit's in the Xpack2 mod. Through the modification of cfg and lst it works in BC but not when i try to run it in bf1942. Is there a way to simply get bf1942 to load extra objects file's like _001 which you see with patches or must i take a different approach. Thanks in advance, Mapping is a great way to pass time.

Recruit Snyder

Mod Collector

50 XP

13th December 2002

0 Uploads

264 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Objects/vehicles from SW should not be made available for users who don't have SW - like SW bikes for vanilla BF42 maps. This would be illegal (well, if you submit your file for public download). The bike consists of several components, the .con files, meshes, sounds, textures, animations etc. ... you'd have to extract everything from SW and transfer it to BF42. Best way to do this is to set up your own "mod", in a different directory which contains all the changes. Did I mention this would be illegal? :) Don't publish your file, you'll get yourself and the site hosting your file into legal troubles. I guess if you're doing this just for yourself nobody will notice that, incl. EA's legal department :)

msap

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

19th January 2004

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Ok, i got it, snyder. I will do nothing that's illegal. It was just a example to see how i can get new, freshly home made objects in a existing map. What i'm trying to say is i like mapping in detail, but suck at modeling. I don't want to break any rules (just buy those awesome games boys, it keeps those guys in business to bring us even better games) but keep it easy for others to play my maps. i'm getting the hang of how everything works with the .con files and experiment a lot with different combinations of vehicles and objects, but creating a mod wasn't my first plan. There isn't any way around it, that you know of? with patch 1.5 they got in the new pt boat and some new objects like the two huts and dock_supply. Thanks for the advise snyder, LEGAL mapping is a great way to pass time.

Recruit Snyder

Mod Collector

50 XP

13th December 2002

0 Uploads

264 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

You could really set up your map as a separate mod and include all the SW stuff easily, you just refer to the SW vehicles in your map files like you do with the vanilla BF42 vehicles. Download a mod and look how they set up their files. You'll need your own init.con like in this example:

game.setCustomGameName MsapMod game.addModPath Mods/msapmod/ game.addModPath Mods/XPack2/ game.addModPath Mods/BF1942/ game.setCustomGameVersion 1.5 game.customGameFlushArchives 0 game.setCustomGameUrl "http://www.msap.com"

What your mod will do: You are telling the game "Load all the BF42 files incl. the vehicles and stuff, thereafter you load all SW vehicles and keep everything in memory, then you load the msapMod files and if there's a map that needs the Sherman and the bike and the Flakpanzer you already got everything you need in your memory"

(In the init.con, the first mod entry will be loaded last) If you don't want to mess around with coding and all the other editing problems, you really should do it that way. You shouldn't try to add all the extracted bike files to your map files because extracting the files requires a certain portion of coding/editing knowledge. Look at the Britain map where DICE added the Junkers, you'll have to do the same with the SW bike.

BAR Boy

56k - Sure Thats What I Run...

50 XP

9th December 2002

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

That guy that made that Airboune Mod put the HD into vanilla. I dont see how it could be illegal.

Recruit Snyder

Mod Collector

50 XP

13th December 2002

0 Uploads

264 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago
BAR BoyThat guy that made that Airboune Mod put the HD into vanilla. I dont see how it could be illegal.

well, I don't know this mod, but my own mod, for instance, is put on hold since the release of SW because of legal issues. I have to make sure that nobody can play my mod unless he owns legit copies of RtR and SW when I include RtR and SW files in my mod. I have never tried to release my mod because I knew it would be illegal. At the moment, there are some technical issues to be resolved before I can release my files, caused by this requirement (user must have RtR *and* SW). Basically, everything is copyrighted by the authors, EA/DICE, so we would not be allowed to use it, alter/edit it and submit it for download. It doesn't matter that we don't charge anything for our mods, we simply must not use EA stuff. This has been discussed in the modding community since the first pay addon was released. And some people actually were forced to discuss this issue with EA directly because they did not obey to the rules.

This pertains to all files included in vanilla BF, RtR and SW incl. the extra stuff from the free maps. There is, however, a sort of "gentlemen's agreement" between serious modders and EA .... they let us mod and we don't cause financial losses by giving away their pay content for free. EA pays the DICE devs for their work, they create the models, sounds, code, textures etc. and EA sells it. If someone is not able to create his own bike (or jet, whatever) and uses the DICE vehicle, he must make sure that the player has bought the game or addon before he can play. Otherwise it's warez. Re. the bike, there was one in the Hellendoorn demo (which was 'free') but this bike doesn't work in vanilla BF unless you add extra sound scripts, so I guess the guy you were referring to actually used the bike from the SW Addon (retail). It's simple and clear: The bike and all the other vehicles were created to be sold in the addon, and if someone takes the bike and gives it away for free, it's illegal. The entire bike is EA's property. Intellectual property of course :)

Even if he managed to get the demo bike into vanilla BF42, it still would be illegal (copyright). The demo was meant to make people buy SW, if they get the SW stuff for free, they won't buy the addon. EA would not be happy about this guy ...