From The Ashes, We Rise! 49 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,285 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,457 Posts

1,700 Threads

#1 2 years ago

It's been two weeks of hard graft, and we hit a few little (read: big) stumbles getting here, but here we are. Welcome to FilesNation! The new home of the "GF" community. We're here, as intact as we can be, and we hope you find this the same, familiar experience you're used to.

I'll go through things in order;

What software is FN running? We're running a totally custom, ground up solution, created by our amazing, wonderful software developers, Sheep and Mr. Mikey, with a little help and general annoyance from myself. These guys have built Rome in a day, and I can safely say these two people are the most amazing people ever. They literally made all this happen. Thank them massively.

What's been saved? - All user accounts should be safe and importable into FilesNation. - All threads and posts up to Feburary 2015 are in the main FilesNation website, and are postable just as they always where. - A full static mirror of the old GF forums are available under the community menu, under "The GF Museum" - We're working to import more recent threads and posts in as we can. We'll be porting in by hand major important recent threads. What didn't get saved? - Personal data we couldn't scrape, such as private messages and sensitive information. - Some users may have their old avatars, but most will not, these will need to be re-uploaded. - Signatures

If your profile needs to be filled in, you can use The GF Museum (which will be tided up appearance wise in the coming days) to find your old profile info.

Forum features and bugs. We've currently got all the basic forum functionality we need to make FilesNation work, forums, threads, posts, accounts, private messages etc. as well as nicer features, i.e. WYSIWYG editors, YouTube videos, etc.

Currently, we are missing a few of the nicer features, such as an XP system, post likes, and so on. Don't worry! We're going to be adding a LOT of new features, but it will take time. We want to launch now so we have a place to call home, but you'll be seeing new features appearing every day, and we will end up with a finished product above and beyond what we had before.

What we end up with will be massively better than what we had before, and we're going to be adding all the time. Please let us know ANY ideas for ANYTHING you want to see, because the sky is now the limit and we can make it a reality.

And yes, Schofield, that includes an @name feature.

The Future.... Our plans for FilesNation are more than just a forum. Now our primary goal of saving the community forums is done, our next step is to build our main website, where we will have short-form reporting, news articles, podcasts, videos and more all about the modding world...

But until then, welcome again, thank you all so much for coming and bringing your accounts over here, and long live the forums!

Regards,

Danny, Sheep and Mikey

<3

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lysdestic VIP Member

Dr. Professor Logic, PhD.

44,933 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,256 Posts

93 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I'm so glad that we are here, and this forum is a breath of fresh air already.

Let's get out there and make some posts and keep this community going.

/me looked for a like button, but could not find it.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,325 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Like button is coming as soon as we can. I'm missing it already!

:)

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,325 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,144 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Phew, some pretty impressive work in such a short span of time O_o Congratulations to Sheep(eep) and Mr. Mikey

I feel like I should be unpacking luggage or something ^_^

MoreGun89

53 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Thank you all for all of the hard work and sleepless nights!  I am so thankful that our community has the opportunity to stay in tact, and hopefully will for an indeterminate period of time! :D  Welcome home, everyone!

Mother Banhammer

Merek

Sci-Fi & Anime Enthusiast

54 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

1 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

This is truly amazing work guys. I've been following FilesNation for a while now and what you've accomplished in such a short time is... wow. I'm speechless here. I guess all I can say is it's good to be here! :D

Dipship

Smarter than your average stump.

71 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

26,967 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

FileTrekker, Sheep, Mr. Mikey, you guys are amazing!  

I can hardly  believe  you've got a functional site and forum up in such a short time.

Thank you for all your hard work, I know you've still got much to do but take a break and get some well deserved rest.  

When in doubt, gas it!

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Congratulations guys, I can't even begin to express both my thanks and admiration for what you pulled off so well in so little time. It's good to be here!

Freyr VIP Member

A2Files Staff

46,875 XP

6th February 2005

11 Uploads

4,275 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

As an IT professional who has an excellent idea of precisely how much work you've had to do, excellent work people.  I have personally seen much more simple data import jobs than this fucked up by larger professional teams from companies that do this stuff for a living, and they had months more time than you did to work with.

Writing something like this from the ground up in addition given the timescale you had to work with is a real acheivement that you should be proud of.

...I actually have a couple of bits of contract work I need doing, so if your interested in earning a bit of cash then drop me a PM.

Lord Wiener VIP Member

Piercing the veil.

51 XP

9th August 2003

0 Uploads

19,761 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago

My gratitude goes beyond what a "thank you" could ever adequately express.

WouldYouKindly.png