Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to start of this fantastical event by a bit of speech.
You may or may not have noticed that MODs for Armada are on a decline as of late. Whilst I do not expect this to continue as I expect a good flow of modders to appear soon and whip up a storm, I do not believe that will happen as soon as I want...unless this works!
The aim? Well, to create the best mod that there can be! There will be particular fields that will be detailed below but for now, we'll stick to the basics.
1) The Modding Contest will begin from 25th December, 2005.
2) From the above date, you will have about 2 weeks (till 11th January 2006) to enter any MODs you wish to the armada2files mail account.
3) After this time, we shall then submit these MODs onto the site where something big I hope will happen. MODs will only be submitted for the contest if in that email it SPECIFICALLY says to add it into the contest (eg, the subject could be 'Mod for contest' or in the mail itself. Do note, any other entrants may submit MODs after this date but it will be to their disadvantage if they do so.
4) We're putting this towards YOU! That's right! The MODs submitted will be distributed into the correct fields specifically made for this event. The winner of THAT field will be selected by the highest amount of downloads. Furthermore, the altogether winner of the event will be the one who has the most downloads altogether, from all of the categories (a face-off between the other winners, if you will).
5) Data will be collected at February the 11th to determine the winners who will then receive prizes (as of yet undecided).
Now, the fields - Fairly simple stuff:
1) Ship Designs [COLOR=gray]a) Non-converted, non-textured
b) Converted and textured
c) Converted, textured and playable (full game adding)
[/COLOR] 2) Maps
3) Miscellaneous Objects [COLOR=gray]a) Interface's
b) Loading Screen's
c) Map objects etc.
[/COLOR] 4) Special Weaponry
5) Bundle Pack - More than one ship, stations, moons, whole race etc.
6) Armada 1 - Anything to do with Armada 1 goes in here!
That's it and I wish a best of luck to all entrants! ----- Further Details: 1) Like normal, please send mods to the standard email address, which is, [email]email@example.com[/email] where normal mod submitting rules stands.
2) Any theft of any part of anybody else's piece of work will be punished like normal, I just felt like I should make this clearer for those who might intend trying to pull off something like this. Any questions, please feel free to post here, other than that, start modding!
Is there a way to tell who's downloaded the files? The reason I'm asking is- What if a file were downloaded multiple times from the same account/accounts? Is there a way to prevent someone from hiking the # of downloads to win in this dishonorable fashion?
I've thought about this and yes, it is possible for someone to cheat and no we wouldn't know whom, but, I'll intend to be doing frequent check-ups, so if something astronimically goes up, we'll be onto it and take the necessary steps to sort out the problem. I'm hoping though that everybody who downloads it will do it honorably and to be fair, no one way of judging this will be perfect, and I thought this would promote good mod-mans-ship.
Sure, it's a great way to encourage people. I just wish I were further along in my moding plan. You see, I'm working my way up to the real deal. I started with a couple *small* mods just to get my feet wet. Now (for the past few months) I'm working diligently to convert the SWFC mod over to work with the other races. It's to be the first installment (I thought I'd release each race as a different section) in my Full Conversion mod. Once I get established with these first few releases, I plan to get into creating my own content from scratch. So, my question is, would this conversion I'm working on be eligible for this contest (since It's someone else's mod that I'm just reworking, and since It's been in the making from well before the announcement of this contest)? On a side note, I always download my mods to make sure they're working correctly.
It would be allowed, goes under the bundle-pack category. I look forward to what you have to offer with this convserion :)
Great! I'll try to finnish it in time to enter. Qapla to all.
Sadly I will be nowhere near completion by the deadline, the best of luck to everyone else, hope it goes well
Well if you wish paul, submit part of your mod, if you have part done. There's no reason to miss out just because the whole dang-goodle isn't completed. Besides, think of it as a test of what you've done so far.
Well, it looks like I probably won't get to submit the mod... at least not for this contest. Stalker (the mod's original leader) has resurfaced, right on the eve of my release? I've, dutifully, asked his permission, but it might be a while, if ever, before I get the go ahead. Oh well.
I'm posting a news reminder later, and if people want it, the date will be extended. There's no point doing anything if there are going to be few entries, and I think the fields may be restricted to just a "free-for-all" and those that are there can be left as general idea's. Anyhow, keep working on it, if the date is extended, then you'll save yourself hassle.