I got it. Ask away.
7th December 2003
Well, is it worth the money?
Eh. I was hyped about it, but it isn't so great. Same vehicles, almost same guns. The only big thing is the graphics. I am probably going to buy it when the english version comes out, the Czech version is annoying to figure out. I would say it isn't really worth it though.
SteelSabre;3389345Eh. I was hyped about it, but it isn't so great. Same vehicles, almost same guns. The only big thing is the graphics. I am probably going to buy it when the english version comes out, the Czech version is annoying to figure out. I would say it isn't really worth it though.
Use the english conversion patch ;)
And what did you expect??? If its not broke, Don't fix it!!!!
In its current state, Armed Assault is not worth the space on the harddrive. There are so many things wrong with it, I don't know where to start. So let me give you the obvious things that ruined it completely for me :mad:
1. The air dynamics are completely wrong. Choppers are impossible to fly and act like spaceships that levitate from left to right. Planes act even worst and you can't fly without crashing. The way they implemented the dynamics is wrong and worst then any game out there. Tested this with the mouse.
2. Tanks. Well not much to say since not much has changed from OFP, but let me tell you what deteriorated. Lets just say you can take a tank and drive thoughout a whole forrest leveling every tree. I tested this on a forrest (marked green on the map) on that Sahrani map.
3. Player controls and movements are very complex and uncessary. In ofp they were simple and did the job done. In Arma you need to train weeks just to walk your player..... There are about 3 buttons just for walking. You have to try this to actually realize how bad it is. Every time you check the map, the game has to load. :mad:
4. Bugs with about any aspects of the game. But the lamest bug is the implementation of the hdd which is very poorly done. You turn a few degrees from the sun and the darkness increases by 10+%. It feels like the weather changes every time you turn.
5. Very heavy on system specs and doesn't look as good as other games of the magnitude. Im running it on normal (medium) and in some parts the fps drops to less than 10. And the average is 25. Now for an fps that is really low. And if I change to low it looks like shit.
6. The voices are very amaturish. They sound better in most mods out there.
7. Sounds are actually good, but I haven't tested them that much. In tanks they are bugged and sometimes you hear the wrong sound or you hear a sound when your not supposte to. I was hearing tracks rolling when I was standing still.
7. Mouse lag in editor and browser occurs randomly. Then there's the same lag in game from time to time.
As a 5 year ofp fan, I've been very dissapointed.
The only good thing I can say about this game is the graphics, but to really enjoy it you need a really good system.
Unfortunatly, I know what you mean, On every point as well!!!
THe helicopter is risiculas!!! It is impossible to fly with the mouse, what was wrong with OFP's way??? When you try use keyboard theres a million and 1 keys.
Little things i like, The addition of rolloing helps alot. The 'double click' for Zoom and hold right M/B down to steady your hand and zoom a little more. Nice little tweaks here and there but as you say, all this 'crowds' the controls. Z/X/C to Prone,Crouch and stand is OTT. And you have to hit the specific key to get that response. Very annoying and not exactly handy.
Sounds, well i can hear things miles away right next to me, Not Good!!! It is hard to see what has taken 5 years to do??? It really is. Low detail is a no no and No AA/AF is a no no as well, YOu will be looking at blobs!!! Seriously!!!! On high its very nice. Its the opposite of BF2, BF2 on Low detail you got an advantage, This is opposite, the better your system, the more advantage you have.
All in all though, the game is there, the control's can be re-done to suit you but its all a little annoying. SOunds and stuff all done in a patch. I just expected alot more from bohemia :( As for the heli's (Not tried the plane), They need to put them back to OFP style, FAST!!!
You guys use the mouse to fly :| ... Well anyway I will find out when I get it but I always used my lovely Wingman Extreme digital 3D flight stick for all my flying it it's always worked great so I hope it will help with ArmA.
It doesn't matter what you use because the flight physics are wrong. Unless you don't mind flying an UFO that looks like a chopper in a so call "sim"
And I didn't even go into the bugs. There are more bugs then features, literary.
Well that's what they make patchs for , at lest it's not EA trying to make a war sim ...
Hell yes, Bohemia will sort it and it took about 2 years sort out all the problems with OFP. THis time it wont take as long.
That video's funny haha. Thats missions a bit of a bitch. Didnt relise the boat at first, DOH!!!!
As for the heli, I was awesome with the heli in OFP and BF2, both systems worked really well. OFP i could fly 4M from the ground at 200+ ducking and divinng trees with a mouse. And BF2 i was ranked 367 at one point. Along comes ArmA, It's a bit of a joke to be honest!!!! It looks silly as someone said, and its all wrong. Even with a joystick, It's just wrong!!! They seriously need to sort that out.
Everything else though is teething problems. There working hard on patches already and it wont be like EA's patches haha. Im importing a german version this week but by time its out in europe in febuary alot of problems will be fixed. The fact that we are using a 'cough cough' version may contribute to some bug's also ;)
As i said, THe game is there, Its alive, but not kicking ;)