imok

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Brand new laptop I can get bf1942 it to start but with the following 3 problems:

a) Starts in what looks like partial screen even though I have +fullscreen 1 b) When I try to select options from the menus, the menu highlight is not there and also I beleive some of the options are invisible (I can hear them when I click) c) The crosshair doesnt show up.

Im ready to abandon this game. Any help is appreciated. Below is my hardware. ================================================== Toshiba Laptop Satellite U400 Vista Business 4GB ram Driver Version: 7.14.10.1329 Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Business* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001) Default Language: English DirectX* Version: 10.0 Physical Memory: 3061 MB Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB Graphics Memory in Use: 162 MB Processor: x86 family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 Processor Speed: 2394 MHZ

Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family Video BIOS: 1478 Current Graphics Mode: 1280 by 800 True Color (60 Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor Display Type: Digital Gamma Value: 2.20 DDC2 Protocol: Supported Maximum Image Size: Horizontal: Not Available Vertical: Not Available Monitor Supported Modes: 1280 by 800 (60 Hz) Display Power Management Support: Standby Mode: Not Supported Suspend Mode: Not Supported Active Off Mode: Not Supported

Apo-TTCC

FH2 Betatester

50 XP

27th October 2005

0 Uploads

716 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Might be the Intel onboard graphics, it is not listed as supported in the readme. While in most games most graphic cards for desktop PC's are supported there is sometimes no guarantee that it will run flawless on a laptop. Some things to try: Is BF1942 updated to 1.61b? As far as i know DirectX 9.0c needs to be installed seperately next to DX10 on Vista, it is available here. Check for driver updates, even new computers sometimes come along with outdated drivers.

Battlefield 1942 will run on a system with the below specifications or better:
  • Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows 98 (Windows NT and Windows 95 are not supported)
  • 500 MHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor
  • 128 MB RAM
  • 4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
  • 1.2 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved games, swap files and DirectX 8.0a installation
  • 32 MB Direct3D and Hardware Transform & Lighting capable video card using the NVIDIA GeForce4, NVIDIA GeForce3, NVIDIA GeForce2, NVIDIA GeForce 256, ATI Radeon 8500, ATI Radeon 7500, ATI Radeon, or Matrox Parhelia chipset with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver.
  • DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
BF1942 & Vista Answer If you are having problems running a game and you think it is related to compatibility with Windows Vista, you can try to get the game to work by running it in Compatibility Mode. Please make sure that you have downloaded all of the necessary updates to Windows Vista, including Service Pack 1. Note: This setp should be used for games that have been developed before Windows Vista. To check this please check the minimum system requirements for your game to see if Windows Vista is listed.
  1. Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
  2. In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Place a check in the Compatibility Mode checkbox.
  4. Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the mode box.
  5. Click Apply to save your changes.
If you did not opt to have a desktop icon installed:
  1. Find the game icon listed in your Games directory.
  2. Right-click on the game and click on Customize. This will bring up the Customize menu.
  3. Select Play.
  4. Select Edit.
  5. This will bring up the Properties screen. Click the Compatibility tab.
  6. Check Run in Compatibility Mode and then choose Windows XP (or whatever operating system the game was designed for).
  7. Press Apply then press OK. You will be back at the customize menu.
  8. Close the customize screen.
  9. Now the game is configured to run in Compatibility Mode.
Please note that this will only make the game run in Compatibility Mode if you click on the shortcut that you set Compatibility Mode for. All other shortcut icons (such as in your Start menu) will have to have these changes made as well. Another step you will want to try is running the software as an administrator. To do this:
  • Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose Properties.
  • In the Properties Panel, click the Compatibility tab.
  • In the Privilege level section place a check in the Run this Program as an Administrator checkbox.
  • Click Apply to save your changes.
  • Try the software again.
The Windows Vista Firewall is also more active than the Window’s XP Firewall. This can cause problems running games that were designed before Vista and playing online. Turning of the Windows Vista Firewall will not stop the firewall for blocking programs. To ensure that the game is running a peak performance, you need to add the game program and any related programs (for example Punkbuster for some online titles) to the Firewall exceptions list. If the game continues to fail, you may need to edit the run features of the game to override User Account Control features in Windows Vista. Note: You will be altering Operating System security and Parental Controls when performing the steps below. Please be aware that if you follow these steps, you will need to contact Microsoft for further support. Windows Vista User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide Pay special attention to: “Scenario 2: Mark an application to always run elevated” and “Scenario 3: Configure User Account Control”
Oversized Menu Answer This is caused by the manner in which the 1.6 patch interacts with ATI video cards using DVI. To allow the game to be run such that the main menu is not oversized the following changes need to be made:
  1. Double Click on the My Computer icon.
  2. Double Click the C:\ drive.
  3. Double Click on Program Files.
  4. Double Click on EA GAMES.
  5. Double Click on Battlefield 1942.
  6. Double Click on Mods
  7. Double Click on bf1942
  8. Double Click on Settings
  9. Right-Click VideoDefault.con and choose Open
  10. Note: If prompted for a program to use select Wordpad
Edit the line renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1 to renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0 Save and Close the file.This will cause the game to run with the main menu at the proper resolution. Note: Please note by following the steps above the game must be run with a refresh rate of 60hz. Running the game at a higher refresh rate will result in a crash following a black screen when attempting to start the game. To set your computers monitor to 60hz simply do the following: Right Click on your Desktop Choose Properties Click on the Settings Tab Click on the Advanced Button For Windows XP/2000 click on the Monitor tab. For Windows 98/ME click on the Adapter tab. Select 60hz from the drop down list Click Apply If prompted accept the changes Click Ok Close the Display Properties Window. [INDENT][INDENT] Your monitor refresh rate is now set at 60hz and the game should load properly.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT]All answers found on the BF1942 customer support page... :rolleyes: [/INDENT][/INDENT]

imok

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Ive tried the above, The interesting thing is BF 2 works fine. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Thanks

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Have you updated your graphics drivers for Vista?

imok

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
Monster_user;4546695Have you updated your graphics drivers for Vista?

Vista does not have graphics drivers. They are by the manufacturer of the video card or the notebook. Probably just some directx issue.

I googled it and there are many people having the same problem.

I sent a support message to EA but I doubt they care. After all why would they support an obsolete product. More people should write to them.

Click here and click on Contact Us Support Home Page

P.S. I believe 1942 outclasses all their other new Battlefield products.

They could've just upgrade it instead of trying to make new ones from scratch. If they are smart they could repckage it with some small updates and resell it.

imok

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

I figured out the fix on the crosshair and menu problems for the Intel 965 Express with Vista.

I Uninstalled the Video card device driver and then reboot Vista a couple of times to install it back again. When I run BF1942 it works as expected.

Now I have a different problem. The punkbuster kicks me out with the message Service Abnormality

I tried installing the latest version and giving rights to everything and anything. I also turned off the antivirus. Nothing! Anyone with a solution?

imok

50 XP

19th June 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

Have solution for Punkbuster problem as well.

I uninistalled BF1942 and deleted the whole remaining folders (I made a backup first). The I reinstalled it. Now it works great!

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 8 years ago

Hello, I'm using vista and having difficulties to control the settings in BattleField 1942. When I click on options > Control, what I can see is the keyboard features on the left task, but on the right side, it is probably to be mouse sensitivity, yeah it does, but it's very strange, I can't find the highligter or scroller or something else to change this settings...... Another problem is I can't find the crosshair while playing the game whenever I hold pistols, knife, shotgun, bazukka or taking in any vehicles....EXCEPT FOR grenade or in the plane... Can u tell me what's wrong with this.... ??? I see through your solution and tried, yet nothing is being changed for my problem, just like the same.... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

DevilDogTDC

50 XP

4th June 2008

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#9 8 years ago

all you need to do (at least all i needed to do) is right click on your battlefield 1942 exe file select properties click the compatibility tab select windows xp from the menu check run as administrator