Eglaerinion

Vault Dweller

50 XP

22nd September 2003

0 Uploads

2,822 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

My first thought would be a Panzer 4 H. But the turret looks a bit wonky, could be the angle of the pic.

Raptor25

You're in my Crosshairs...

50 XP

7th July 2003

0 Uploads

161 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

"What is a PzKpfw IV Ausf.J" (jeapordy for retards) panzer_4_j.jpg That's my guess

Mp5-Killa

FH Betatester

50 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

1,161 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

Well it is defenitely a Panzer IV - you can tell by the 8 small wheels and the long 75mm gun. As for the varient - I'm going to go for J as well - Js were usually given side skirts of that shape - at least I think so....

TheBoxer5

Cool Hand Colt

50 XP

14th March 2005

0 Uploads

61 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Yeah, it's a Panzer 4. Did you see in Saving Private Ryan, Tom Hanks just went up to the tank and start shooting into the driver window. Is that possible? Don't the driver window have any protection (like a thick bullet-proof glass)?

Aeroflot

I would die without GF

169,400 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

15,205 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

That is a Panzer VI H. All what it really is a longer barreled Panzer VI with side armor. It was a late war tank, and the armor was supposed to help protect the tank from newer, better armor piercing rounds, and to stop the rounds from destroying the treads.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

It is a late model PzIV but the picture is too dark and poor angle to see if it is a PzIVH or J but Im guessing its a Panzer 4 Ausf H.

Its not a Ausf G IMHO since muzzle brake looks to be later dual baffle style, although we cant tell for sure due to the muzzle brake being covered. Cant see rear hull to see if auxilary motor for the turret and its muffler are gone. Ausf J's used a hand crank to rotate the turrets.

Cant see if hull side view ports are removed

Cant see if its got 3 return rollers

Only very late model Ausf G's received skirts if at all, Ausf H's used solid skirts, Ausf J's recieved both solid skirts and the wire mesh Thoma screens. I could be wriong but this pic reminds me of one I have seen that was listed for the Arnhem area so Im guessing its late 1944.

Also, PzIV skirts hung by triangular "hooks" and hung freely so if it caught on something it could fall off and not be bent into the suspension and tracks. By late 1944, early 1945 it is almost more common to see PzIV's missing the hull side skirts but still wearing the turret skirt. Apparently in the retreats they didnt take the time to stop and recover fallen side skirts.

The skirts were added to stop AT rifle bullets and to detonate shaped charge HEAT rounds before they could detonate against the hull. By detonating the charge away from the hull it only burned a small hole in the skirt and scorched the paint on the hull. PIAT, Bazooka, and RPG-43 all relied on shaped charge, aka HEAT round, to burn a hole in the armor.