Having mouse problems -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

Hi guys! I am having a problem I hope you can help with. I am running windows 98Se (I know....) After laughter subsides... I have tried two different mice in BF1942. I have an optical mouse and a regular two button style. I have found that periodically online and always in campaign mode that my buttons just stop working. the pointer is still working, and things highlight, but I can't select with the buttons. I've tried the new cursor patch from MS, reloading the game seems to help for a very short period - but not for campaign mode. They only way to exit the game is to then crash the system. I've searched online, but no one else seems to be having this issue. Any ideas? I love the game - but this is making it hard to play! Thanks! jnkoleske

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

hi jnkoleske,

MS Optical Mouse? Are you running the software that came with it (I believe it's called intellimouse)? If you are completely un-install it. The same goes for any software if it is a logitech mouse, there is sometimes a problem with mouse software, win98 and BF.

Oh yes, to exit game without crashing use either alt-F4 key combo or ctrl/alt/del and end task using the arrow and tab keys.

Good luck

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 13 years ago

Thanks - it's nice to know how to get out of the game without crashing. I have tried both a standard two button mouse (no fancy drivers) and my logitech M-BJ58 optical mouse (with and without the software). I've tried it as PS/2 as well as a USB mouse, and neither seems to solve the problem...

Any other thoughts? Thanks! jnkoleske

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Hmm, are you using the "single click to open an item, point to select" option or the "double click to open, single click to select" setting. If you are using the first setting I suggest changing it to the second. Also suggest checking for spyware malware etc as these can sometimes cause funny behaviour during games.

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 13 years ago

Hi Apocalypse_kid, Thanks for the tips... I am using ""double click to open, single click to select" setting. Should be spyware clean - am using spysweeper and norten... Have to for work... :) I only have a problem periodically in BF1942 online or instant battle mode. Campaign just doesn't work at all... Kinda weird... Thanks! jnkoleske

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

When you Alt-f4 back to the desktop, are any other programs running? It's possible there is some type of conflicting program that hijacks your mouse. Make sure there's no non-essential programs running in the background. Try using msconfig (here's a link to a guide) to disable any unnecessary programs from running and restart computer and retry the game.

If it's only a problem in BF1942, you might try re-installing the game and the latest patch. (though I'm guessing you've probably already done this)

I'm a bit rusty on my Win98 skills, so I can't recall how to tweak everything in it. As a drastic measure, you may try a clean install of Windows 98 if you are willing to go that far for BF1942. I usually do that at least once a year on all my computers to clear out the junk and start fresh.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 13 years ago

i have had that happen O_O its so annoying

Mafiaz

Slightly Cooler Than A N00b

50 XP

17th April 2005

0 Uploads

175 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

Hey, Make sure that your wires are fully connected. Also something you can try is makiing sure the inside of your computer doesnt have too much dust in it and that your video card is overheating.. Also try cleaning the inside of your mouse. That happened to me before. Hope this helps. Chow