FEDHELL

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

12th April 2004

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

Ok I am really thinking about getting battlefield 1942 but I just have 2 questions. A: the pack I would get would have all but the newest expansions. Is that enough to play online? B: How active is the online play with 2 of the expansions? Like is there always at least 1 good server? Well thx in advance - FEDHELL

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago
FEDHELLOk I am really thinking about getting battlefield 1942 but I just have 2 questions. A: the pack I would get would have all but the newest expansions. Is that enough to play online? B: How active is the online play with 2 of the expansions? Like is there always at least 1 good server? Well thx in advance - FEDHELL

A) There are only two official expansions, "Road to Rome" and "Secret Weapons of World War Two". BF:Vietnam is a seperate game altogether! You don't need any expansions to play online, just download the latest patches and youare off!

B) Forget official expansions, buy Basic BF for as cheap as possible and download unofficial mods, they are more fun, have more servers and are cheaper (free!) . "Desert Combat Final" and "Forgotten Hope" are the two major unnofficial mods.

Just a rough idea, there are at this moment 45 servers for RtR (19 players), 33 servers for Secret Weapons (64 players), 1101 servers for Desert Combat: Final (1144 players), and 174 servers for Forgotten Hope (407 players). Also there are 1413 servers (3483 players) for Vanilla (unmodified) BF.

make your own decision form those figures (keeping in mind that they will change as the time of day changes, but are unlikely to vary a great deal in proportion.

AK

:smokin:

FEDHELL

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

12th April 2004

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

OK so just buying the plain BF will get me acces to the mods? Wow if so I wont but the 50 $ one with 2 X packs ill just buy the 10 dollar game lol. Wow thx but please reply to tell me if I need any of the Xpacks for the mods. EDIT- I just looked into final. So if I understand here is how I install Final. ( i dont think I have it right) -Install plain Bf 1942 -Install all the patches for it -Install Desert Combat (0.7) -install Desert Combat Final Client Download (FINAL) is that right because I cant find any install directions and I cant dl it right here at the moment? thx for the help.

smelly_crap

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

27th April 2004

0 Uploads

315 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Yeah, that is correct.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

Yes, Thats right.

Last time I checked, you have to download the 1.619 patch, then the 1.6.1b incremental. To be able to play online, with the Punkbuster server.

You don't need the patches to play online. Or Punkbuster. No matter what version of BF1942 your using, someone is always playing.

Those "1413 servers (3483 players) for Vanilla (unmodified) BF" are mixed between older version of the game, so you don't have actually that many servers to choose from. It gets annoying joining a server, when you have the latest patch, and it tells you "Wrong Version".

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

Monster_userYes, Thats right.

Last time I checked, you have to download the 1.619 patch, then the 1.6.1b incremental. To be able to play online, with the Punkbuster server.

A small point but maybe important, the version number actually go 1.6.19, then 1.61b, just a little full stop in the wrong place can cause serious problems.

You don't need the patches to play online. Or Punkbuster. No matter what version of BF1942 your using, someone is always playing.

Those "1413 servers (3483 players) for Vanilla (unmodified) BF" are mixed between older version of the game, so you don't have actually that many servers to choose from. It gets annoying joining a server, when you have the latest patch, and it tells you "Wrong Version".

Very true Monster_user, thanks for pointing tyhat out, I didn't want to confuse a beginner with more detail than necessary but he seems to be getting the idea. It's possible to use a tool like the All Seeing Eye server browser to filter Vanilla BF servers by version number, and doing that tells me that there are currently 1,397 vanilla BF servers, 746 of them being the latest 1.61 release, I won't break down the older versions stats, that would be to long and boring.

AK

:smokin:

FEDHELL

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

12th April 2004

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Ok i dont need to sound noobish and very annoying but I am having a vey hard time. Ok ill tell yuo what I own. I have BF1942 and Secrets weopns and 1more x pack (not the new one). Ok I need to know what to install (from where)(can you give links right there please so I dont get lost again) and in like what order. Like how many of my expansion should or can I install if i wanna play desert combat? So I just dont understand and I really wanna start downloading so i can play but i just cant find what I need. Thx for the help. FEDHELL out.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

-Install plain Bf 1942 -Install all the patches for it

--- Battlefield1942 1.6.19 -Optional --- Battlefield1942 1.61b (requires ^1.6.19) -Optional

-Install Desert Combat (0.7) -install Desert Combat Final Client Download (FINAL) -Optional ^ DC_Final is not required to play DC7. It is the almost official DC8.

@apocalypse_kid I can't believe I forgot that dot. :rolleyes: