pun-3x

pilot-wannabe

50 XP

5th June 2004

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I'm new to the multiplayer arena of BF1942. I've been practicing hard in single player at piloting (stick) and am capable of shooting down a plane in almost no time if he's lined up just right. Now, this part isn't so much about the AI, as it is where I hit him (engine-shots are like head-shots, I understand that part)

Anyway, I get into Multiplayer, and shooting down a 109 is like knocking down a bomber--it takes forever. I'm scoring hits; debris goes flying. But I just can't seem to take a plane down as fast. HOWEVER, other players take me down in the same amount of time I would shoot down the AI pilots. It isn't about AI vs. real-players that I've noticed. Plenty of enemy pilots fly that straight line that lets you just take your time on them. I'm wondering if it's just lag, or if I have something turned on or off that I don't know about. I have the game, RtR and the 1.6 patch, but haven't made any manual adjustments/mods of any kind. Is it the connection lag? (have cable, worst is 180 ping, best is about 80-100) Any help would be nice, even if it's to tell me that, well, I suck... ;)

WW2dude

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

50 XP

29th July 2003

0 Uploads

3,825 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

It has a lot to do with your ping. You have to lead your target. Depending on how high your ping is, aim ahead of him. Higher = farther ahead. Since BF's netcode is a little retarded, you only see the debre if where your shooting would hit if your ping was zero.

So just aim ahead of your targets. One more thing: The little things that show up around your crosshairs for a second are hit indicators. If you caused damage, they show up.

pun-3x

pilot-wannabe

50 XP

5th June 2004

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

The zero-ping point, that made perfects sense. I'm used to playing FPS games, where you see yourself shooting a split second before the other guy kills you, and in reality you never fired at all. Your computer started the signal, but due to the lag of the server/your connection, what you saw on your computer gets an override from the server that says it never happened. Just as you said, you see what would happen if your ping were 0. That explains the debris. I never put it in that context before, and I'm practically used to it. Plus, I was wondering why the X-mark wasn't always showing up like it did in single player. ;) Thanks for the response. It was extremely helpful.

WW2dude

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

50 XP

29th July 2003

0 Uploads

3,825 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

No problem!