Dot Com

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

26th June 2000

0 Uploads

6,116 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

In bf1942...the sound distance just plain stinks!

Even with merciless...I see a person 25 feet away from me and I hear nothing!

I have an audigy2, and have 64 channels enabled (hardware accel on).

Is there anyway to increase it by editing the con files, or something else?

Please...HELP ME!

btw...the smilies don't work when I click on them.

DDDandrew

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

6th March 2004

0 Uploads

381 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Yes, I can certainly agree with you on this topic, but fear not! There is hope! First of all, BF1942 doesnt support the Dopplar Effect. For those of you who didnt pass physics and science, this is the theory that the frequency of a wave changes as it passes by you.

What the hell does this have to do with anything you ask? Well, like in Vietnam, when you go by something, you hear it change, hence, you hear it move into the distance. Since this isnt supported in BF1942, all you hear is the gun fire, from a "Smaller Noise Pattern." This essentially means that the game is coded to produce a softer sound at a farther distance. Therefore, there isnt anything wrong with your game. It is indeed the fact that BF1942's sound does simply---well---suck. Now, why does this need to be like this? I can anwser that as well. Simply put, Battlefield 1942 is a fully online game. It is composed of generally HUGE map space, and trying to code the game so that the ambient surroundings reflected noise would really lag you out. Thats what the main point is, BF1942 can reflect sound because the server would have to read the info and output it to your computer, which in turn has to figure out where its coming from. Thats about all it can do, produce it and then send a signal to whatever your using, giving it a degree where it tells it that its, example, coming from 40% right up. Thats about all my knowledge extends to as far as BF1942's sounds go. I hope I helped a little bit. We all suffer the same issue, hence, your on the same battlefield as me ;) See ya on the battlefield soldier!

SimonS.

[11PzG] SimonS

50 XP

10th August 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

WWIIOL does it fine....

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Some mods are better with sound than others. my advice for you, just stay out of sight and be wary, then no one will be able to sneak up on you. Moving as a team increases the chance of finding a sniper before he can get to you.

The Irishman

I'm not drunk. Seriously.

50 XP

7th June 2004

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

[moment of stupidity] Turn...up...the...volume?

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#6 14 years ago

But then what happens when a B17 drops bombs all around you? You will become deaf and that is even worse.

The Irishman

I'm not drunk. Seriously.

50 XP

7th June 2004

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Well...that'd probably be a bit realistic. Maybe not appreciated though. Point taken.

Dot Com

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

26th June 2000

0 Uploads

6,116 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Thank you very much, Andrew! :) As long as I am not alone on this issue, it isn't that big of a deal.

And simon...ww2online is pay-to-play, and only covers one theatre.