What is a dedicated server? -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 14 years ago

I want to build a mission in Battlecraft 1942, but the instructions say to use a dedicated server. What is a dedicated server?:uhm:

AzH

I'm too cool to Post

269,650 XP

17th September 2003

0 Uploads

24,050 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

it's a server that's dedicated to... something...

*moving to BF1942 forums for more help* :)

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 14 years ago

Thanks, AzH.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 14 years ago

So...if I make a level of my own in Battlecraft1942, can I play it and host it at the same time, or is this not possible?

cjwoolf2009

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

7th April 2004

0 Uploads

151 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Yes, just go into Battlefield 1942. Click on "Multiplay," "Create Game". From there you can select the map that you want. Customize the settings then select "Start Game" or whatever it says at the bottom right corner.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 14 years ago

:D Thanks a bunch cjwoolf2009!:D

BK898

People say I post too much

50 XP

5th September 2004

0 Uploads

3,147 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

A dedicated server is a server that runs an online mp game like BF1942 24/7.

smelly_crap

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

27th April 2004

0 Uploads

315 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

What the above poster said and the fact that you cannot join a dedicated server from the computer it is set up on.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Um. Don't get the hardware and software confused! Hardware wise a dedicated servers is the computer used to run a game of BF (or any other program, but only that program) and nothing else. software wise it is the game mode that runs just the bare game in text mode with no graphics engine required so that it can only be joined by a remote computer, but you can indeed run multiple dedicated games of BF (or different games or programs altogether, ie: MOHAA, Teamspeak etc) on the same hardware. I believe the correct description here from the original question is the "software" dedicated server, as opposed to what is normally called a "listen" server (don't ask me why, I don't know) that allows the person hosting the game to play at the same time.

AK

:smokin: