colonel_bob

Here & There

50 XP

4th June 2004

0 Uploads

6,685 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Sorry for the first thread in this forum to start off so negative, but I want to get everyone's opinion on this. BF2142 looks neat, of course, but I'm wondering if it will actually be worth the $50 for a game that might play like a well-made Battlefield 2 mod. I know that with BF: Vietnam, this was the case (in my opinion, of course). The engine was the same (or at least very similar to) that of Battlefield 1942, and offered very few gameplay improvements. The mod community was there, but nowhere near as active as for vanilla Battlefield. From what I've seen, I fear that 2142 is heading the way of Vietnam. I hope this changes as we get more information out. Your thoughts?

Agent_0range

Original Gankstar

50 XP

3rd February 2005

0 Uploads

600 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

[COLOR=black]I agree, although I thoroughly enjoyed playing Battlefield Vietnam. It was a nice change in pace from BF'42 and I played it for some time. BF2142 definitely looks interesting, and the Titan game play mode sounds pretty cool. [/COLOR] [COLOR=black] [/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Although it does disappoint me that EA/DiCE choose to rush this game out to directly compete with ET:QW, and not work on it so it may reach its full potential, instead of looking more like a mod for BF2. I feel that Quake Wars will be the better game out of the two, and BF2142 might fall by the wayside after a while. So yes I also think it will go the same way BF Vietnam did.[/COLOR]

Zrix

Death from above

50 XP

12th October 2005

0 Uploads

176 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I enjoyed playing BFV since it IMO had some nice new features like heatseeking misiles, tunnels and the ability to shoot from the passenger seats in vehicles. BF2142 however doesn't seem to contain much new stuff. The mechs seem nice, but thats about it. Sure, the engine have been modified, but judging from the videos it seems just like BF2 with new muzzle flashes. Also, Galactic Conquest had a map where the rebels had to board an imperial stardestroyer, so the Titan game mode isnt that new.

SteVen

"World's Best Boss"

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

3,254 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

IMO I enjoyed 1942 and Vietnam MUCH more than BF2. Vietnam to me felt much different than 1942, but 2142 ((Whats with all the 42's?)) looks pretty much the same to me as BF2

colonel_bob

Here & There

50 XP

4th June 2004

0 Uploads

6,685 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago
masterstevenx4Vietnam to me felt much different than 1942, but 2142 ((Whats with all the 42's?)) looks pretty much the same to me as BF2

They did the '42 just to remind you its the same game. ;) I know I'm going to end up wasting my money on it anyways, I just hope I don't put the disk away permanently after three or four months, like I did with BF:Vietnam.

Zrix

Death from above

50 XP

12th October 2005

0 Uploads

176 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
colonel_bob I know I'm going to end up wasting my money on it anyways, I just hope I don't put the disk away permanently after three or four months, like I did with BF:Vietnam.

You should try BFV again. I played it a few weeks ago, and it was actually alot of fun. :)

Crazy Wolf VIP Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

One thing about BFV: I bought the 1942 collectors edition. It came with BF42, Road to Rome, Secret weapons, and Battlefield Vietnam. In the Battlefield 1942 Collector's Edition.

Commie

The elusive Member 132837.

50 XP

23rd December 2005

0 Uploads

1,850 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

What is it with people saying, 'aww vietnam this vietnam that zomfg it sux'? Not attacking you personally colonel_bob, it just pisses me off when people constantly complain about how much Vietnam sucked. I never have CTD's with Vietnam, no errors, problems, only a few gripes. It is really, really, good, but nothing quite beats 1942 for originality. 1942 is THE Battlefield. Operation Flaming Dart FTW!!

Crazy Wolf VIP Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Flaming Dart? Irving is the fun one!

Commie

The elusive Member 132837.

50 XP

23rd December 2005

0 Uploads

1,850 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

Irving's okay, but in Flaming Dart there's air-to-air combat, plus MiG-21s. Let's just say Khe Sanh (spelling?) beats 'em all.