Urak'kul

Feel the fire

50 XP

26th February 2004

0 Uploads

3,625 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I though i'd put it here so more people would see. http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/centipedes/battlefield-2142-with-a-dash-of-spyware-207955.php

... When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads...

They also will prosecute you too.:uhm: http://www.destructoid.com/ea-spying-on-bittorrent-sending-notices

“I’m not sure if this has been shown anywhere else, I certainly wasn’t aware of it. I had thought it was just giant organizations like RIAA and MPAA that were watching Bittorrent. But if it was going to be any game company, it was going to be EA. I got a letter from my ISP this morning (Comcast) informing me that EA had sent them the IP address of my network as downloading a torrent of NHL 07. I haven’t heard of them suing anyone yet, but they’re keeping an eye on it apparently.”

So they want me to pay $110 for a BF2 mod and some spyware? No thanks.

Turtlefuzz

It's raining me!

50 XP

24th March 2006

0 Uploads

2,697 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

I didnt want this game to start with, but wow. :uhoh:

The Joelteon7

The cake is a lie.There is no cake.

50 XP

13th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,926 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

Could that be limited to different countries/versions? I'm pretty sure programmes like this are illegal anyhow :S

DnC

GF's Cognitive Psychologist

50 XP

14th April 2004

0 Uploads

2,668 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Damn! Now we have to pay for spyware? That sucks.

Oh yea this is obviously perfectely legal otherwise they wouldn't do it or put a slip of paper about it inside the case.

CplHeadshot

Linux Soldier

50 XP

2nd October 2006

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

It oddly doesn't surprise me that they did this.

Delta Force

Revenge was here.

50 XP

23rd June 2005

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

I don't agree with illegally downloading things but neither do I agree with illegal spying. And the spying is far worse in my opion.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
Delta Force;3294644I don't agree with illegally downloading things but neither do I agree with illegal spying. And the spying is far worse in my opion.

They tell you about it, twice I'll bet. You agree to it when you install the program. Typical EA B$, but not illegal.

easux.jpg

Homer Gonerson

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

6,234 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

.... that's some major bu******.......

I think I might go demand a refund on my preorder now... Best Buy already pushed back the ship date on my order to the 21st, after saying it'd be here by the 18th.

Flakpanzer

Official Forum Spoiled Kid!

50 XP

8th February 2004

0 Uploads

850 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Umm.... C38, what does that screen shot have to do with the post? I was reading it and BAM CoH screenie. I'm not seeing the connection, although I fear the connection is so amazingly obvious that I'll kick my own ass for not seeing it.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,306 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,117 Posts

1,329 Threads

#10 12 years ago
Flakpanzer;3295166Umm.... C38, what does that screen shot have to do with the post? I was reading it and BAM CoH screenie. I'm not seeing the connection, although I fear the connection is so amazingly obvious that I'll kick my own ass for not seeing it.

The shot says "EASucks"

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...