The cake is a lie.There is no cake.
13th November 2004
So I've given 1.4 a blast earlier and found out that, shock horror, it's actually pretty decent. For those wanting a refresher, the notes are below, but I'll be analysing each one in turn to give my opinion on it (do note, obviously some aren't opiniony, so I can't give anything).
- Added an autosave to kit customisations. After you customise a kit and spawn in with that kit, the customisation will be automatically saved until you change it and spawn in again. Note that you must spawn in with a particular kit for it to be saved.
Time saver. Actually works. Good stuff, though just like the patch, this took its sweet time.
- Squad Leaders no longer have to resupply to re-equip destroyed drones - Exploit Fix: hardcoded the time limits of Orbital and EMP strikes.
- RDX Shotgun now detonates RDX, Motion Mines, AP Mines with minimum of 2 rounds.
The RDX launcher, whilst 'fun' to use before had seemingly little use. Ok, so it gave the Support class a medium of taking out slightly more objects at greater distance than standard, but it wasn't wholy effective (less so than a grenade). This difference means support class should really be able to 'support' instead of dominate with the shotgun.
- Ported EU Assault Rifle changes to the Best Buy unlock as well.
- Fixed LMG Left/Right Recoil - Revised EU Assault Rifle Recoil - Increased Clark rate of fire to match Herzog - Fixed PAC shotgun attachment recoil to match other Herzogs
Fixing and adjusting recoil is fine, especially considering the LMG's were really quite deadly on the prowl. The shotgun though is something of mixed feeling. Ok, so now the Voss isn't the best short-range weapon (which is how it should be) and yes, I used the increased speed earlier, but something wasn't quite right. Yeah, it was yer standard shotgun of niceness, but it didn't quite tick, however considering not that many people use the (awesome) gun, it may make little difference, especially the attachment for the assault rifle which I'm pretty sure about 0 people use.
- Further adjustment to Squad Leader drones to prevent them accidentally killing the Squad Leader when deployed - Further fix to prevent "pod surfing". Note that some pod movement will still be possible and is an intended gameplay mechanic to allow the player to have some small choice of landing site and to access rooftops - Smoke from the CM3-N Radar Grenade deploys more quickly. The Radar range has been slightly increased and endures for the duration of the smoke effect. - The CM3-N Radar Grenade may now be resupplied.
- The screening effectiveness of all smoke grenades has been significantly improved.
Smoke grenades were under used, but whenever I have used them, they've always been extremely useful, be they for cover when you resuscitate a team mate or to bombard the enemy with upon hitting the enemy position. The fact is though, until the item is made truly worthy of being added, again few will adopt it.
- Adjusted Talon heat source position to improve Gunship missile balance. - Beta Feedback: Fixed the placement of an AA gun on Highway Tampa - Beta Feedback: Improved the visuals of the swimming pool on Highway Tampa
-Respawn rate of Gunship faster (allows for 2 Gunships to be used at once in Titan mode).
Well it's fantastic, really. Whilst it will give more use to the Saaw-86 (which contrary to popular belief does actually work) it just means more general fun and mischief on Titan mode. Good stuff.
-New map added, Highway Tampa.
Set with the idea that it's an oil depot and naturally, there aren't many more of those, both sides must fight over the depot to keep their mechanized units operational...and what a blast it is, but metaphorically and literally. With multiple starting tanks at your main base, expanded to more with each silo/base, this map was MEANT for tank on tank awesomeness. Great fun to play, with its only fault being perhaps a little 'too' big in the sense that even in a jeep, it could still take some time to traverse the crater-ridden field.
So all in all, I'm pretty chuffed with the patch. Okay, so there are still some bugs and glitches, but they've been narrowed down to rare ones now and whilst the game isn't perfect, it has certainly just got a lot more fun.