Repeater

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

20th February 2004

0 Uploads

784 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

it seems that peopole like to make mods. what are mods? how can i make them, can i play on them? can i distrinute them to people/friends? :cheers:

ditchhopper

Death Obsession

50 XP

25th August 2002

0 Uploads

710 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Can you use a graphics program like photoshop, fireworks, or paint shop pro? Can you use a 3d application like 3dsmax, Maya, or Bryce? Are you at all familiar with GtkRadiant, Battlecraft, or Hammer and what they are used for? Are you capable of programming in C++, Perl, Python, or any other scripting languages? Do you have several hours, weeks, months, or years available to stare at a computer screen?

These are just a few of the requirements needed to create a successful game modification. A full conversion, or total mod of a game usually takes several people ,all working on different aspects of the project to get it in a playable state or ready for a public release.

On the other hand, theres mini-mods such as changing a weapon or characters appearance or sound in a game which although easier to accomplish, still requires the use of many of the above named programs. There are also server-side and client-side mods in relation to on-line gaming. Server-side only needs to be implemented on the host that is running the game, whereas client-side must be downloaded and installed by the user.

If you have no experience with ANY of the programs listed above, then you have a long ways to go. I would recommend you read everything you can get your hands on then download a mapping editor and play around with creating a simple custom map. This may lead you on to bigger and better things. Also contact some of the mods currently in production. Chances are they wont be the least bit interested in you if you have nothing to offer, but some are willing to teach if you can show them your willing to work hard.

If you do make a mod, keep it original. Dont call it "The Matrix" and have a Neo lookalike running around on the screen. At least not if you plan on letting the public use it. Your just asking to be sued. And dont plan on making any money from it either. After all, your "borrowing" someone else's game engine to make your mod work. If the creators of the original game like your mod, maybe they'll offer to buy it from you which is very unlikely but crazier things have happened.

Repeater

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

20th February 2004

0 Uploads

784 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

omg. well. it souns awesome, BUT i don't know shit about progrmming. Oh man, it would be so cool. I don't have much time but if i did i would SO dedicate it to making a game!

succorso

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

6th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,025 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
ATI4EVER!omg. well. it souns awesome, BUT i don't know shit about progrmming. Oh man, it would be so cool. I don't have much time but if i did i would SO dedicate it to making a game!

Of course! :nodding: I'm on the roughnecks mod team, just look up "roughnecks" on the forums, sisce this is where we're hosted. Might be willing to teach a bit

LDAsh

a person

50 XP

15th March 2004

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Better off joining a mod team that needs help, rather than trying to create your own, from scratch, in the search of fame and fortune. Mods are only ever going to get harder and harder to do, and if you don't know anything about programming OR media production, starting learning so you can make a mod for Half-Life 3.