larrymadison

Doomed to Hell

50 XP

3rd December 2004

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

System: Intel quad core CPU Memory: 4 gb CPU speed: 2.6 gh Video cards: Dual nVidia GTX8800 running in SLI mode Operating system: Windows XP SP1 Here is the problem: When I launch BF2142 the game starts loading the map (single or multi, no difference) and then crashes to the desktop. Game worked until last Thursday.....no software changes since then...just started crashing. What I have tried: 1.System restore 2.Uninstall and cleaning registry of all references to evenbalance, EA and BF2142 3.Complete uninstall and reinstall with 1.25 final patch 4. Downloaded PBSETUP.Exe, updated game, made sure pb folder in game showed latest htm info. Ran PnkBstr test...no errors. 4. No firewall issues....Windows firewall turned off (for test). 5. Deleted radail.cdb file. 6.Selected default video config in game. 7. Downloaded and installed latest nVidia drivers. 8. Make sure PnkBstrA & B are running in Services. 9. Added CD key under ergc in registry. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Windows XP SP1. Thats your problem. You need SP2. I think you can get it through microsoft's support page.

larrymadison

Doomed to Hell

50 XP

3rd December 2004

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Must have had a brain fart...have SP2 and have for years. Any other suggestions? I'm about ready to make a beer can coaster out of both BF2142 and BF2 CDs.

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Oh....well....I would try doing a complete reinstall and installing ALL of the patches. Not just the latest, ALL of them. I personally like going in incremental patches, not the full thing.

larrymadison

Doomed to Hell

50 XP

3rd December 2004

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Thanks GateCrusher...I tried the incremental patch installation but got the same results...loads shaders and then crashes to desktop. Tried running at minimum settings, tried installing the latest 8800GTX drivers and am now ready to chuck the whole d..... game. I have had this problem before with both BF2 and BF2142 and am convenienced EA has a way to go before they get their technical support up to par. Thanks for the suggestions.

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#6 10 years ago

Yes, it takes their technical team a day or two to get to a request that you sent it but they usually know their stuff. A few more recommendations: 1) Update your BIOS (can be done by going to your Mo-Bo's manufacturer and installing the update) 2) Make sure you have the most recent drivers and upgrades for XP. I'll probably have more tomorrow but right now I'm really tired and I feel like crap. If anything pops into my head, I'll post it. Please keep me up to date with your situation....as it looks like I'm the only one helping you right now. :)