decode

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

19th July 2003

0 Uploads

132 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Im buying 2 new hard drives at the end of the month. My motherboard (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) supports SATA-RAID. So i was thinking of buying 2x 120GB Seagate Cuda's 7200.7 SATA drives, bit more pricey than the 120Gb Wester Digital Caviar SE EIDE 8MB Buffer drives i was originally going to buy.

Do you think id be better off with the SATA drives or would i be best of sticking with standard ATA?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: The seagate Sata drives are also 8MB Buffer. Btw any mods feel free to move this post to the off topic area as i posted here by mistake.

AlkalineTrio

50 XP

2nd August 2003

0 Uploads

176 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Thats definately a tough one. The only thing I know is that Seagate hard drives are meant to be the most reliable around

talon010

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

13th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,157 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

i got a seagate, its pretty good. what are you going to do with 240GB's of space?

decode

50 XP

19th July 2003

0 Uploads

132 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
talon010i got a seagate, its pretty good. what are you going to do with 240GB's of space?

The 1st drive will be for windows and games the 2nd will be for music.

talon010

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

13th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,157 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

woah that'll sure be alot of music, god dam you...jj

Brookster

Tramp made Moderator...

50 XP

1st May 2003

0 Uploads

931 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Sounds like overkill at the moment. Wouldn't you be better off buying 1 drive first and see how it goes before buying another. Don't get trivial with specs, think of the performance difference, if you go for one over the other, will it matter?

I'd buy 1 120gb drive, see how you fill it then, if for some amazing reason you still think you need more space, you could get another...

or you could buy a 160gb, and divide it into 2 80gig partitions. Oh it's good to know you can find 120gb of completely legal music to download off ***** (because you wouldn't consider downloading anything that was beyond the law now, would you:p)

(awww sweet, they bleeped up the music sharing program I mentioned! how cute!)

decode

50 XP

19th July 2003

0 Uploads

132 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

BrooksterSounds like overkill at the moment. Wouldn't you be better off buying 1 drive first and see how it goes before buying another. Don't get trivial with specs, think of the performance difference, if you go for one over the other, will it matter?

I'd buy 1 120gb drive, see how you fill it then, if for some amazing reason you still think you need more space, you could get another...

or you could buy a 160gb, and divide it into 2 80gig partitions. Oh it's good to know you can find 120gb of completely legal music to download off ***** (because you wouldn't consider downloading anything that was beyond the law now, would you:p)

(awww sweet, they bleeped up the music sharing program I mentioned! how cute!)

Hehe of course not.

Ive always used 2 hard drives becuase im paranoid of the drive failing and loosing all my valuble tunes. So i have to have 2 drives,

What i meant in the first Question was weather i should choose a S-ATA (the seagate drive) or stick with the stanard ATA drive (The WD drive or i could use a seagate Ata) The standard Ata drive uses them big ribbon cables the same ones they have used for years. The S-ATA is different, uses a small cable instead of the big doofy ribbon cables.

Does anyone here use S-ATA and if so what do u think of it?

Cheers.

Franuzz

GF makes me horny

50 XP

14th July 2003

0 Uploads

97 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

i have 2 120 mb hd and i use about half of each. it would be larger but i like to keep my comp clean. i use games/programs for1 and music for another also. i got lots of music

Vanthem

Medic With A Baseball Bat

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

[COLOR=dimgray]I'm by no means an expert on this, Decode, so your best bet is to do some research on the internet to make sure (or ask Ditch, heh) but basically SATA is faster with less clutter which ain' a bad thing. Last I read - and this was a while ago - SATA wasn't really catching on over ATA and it's still a new technology for the most part, but hey, if you've got the cash and you want better performance without your standard wide IDE cables, then go for it, man. My A7V8X board (also ASUS like yours) is S-ATA compatible and all the tests I've seen have been pretty nice over ATA, but I haven't made the switch yet, so I don't know for sure.

what are you going to do with 240GB's of space?

Whatever he wants. :p I'd kill for that much space, I need about 100 gigs just to back up my system. :lol: [/COLOR]

EDIT: Oh yeah, Decode, don't know if this is where you posted the thread originally, but Problems, Errors, Help is the right forum for it, so you're good.

ditchhopper

Death Obsession

50 XP

25th August 2002

0 Uploads

710 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Please forgive the late reply, Im a bit behind on everything at the moment.

I havent actually used serial ata that much. I did install a raid array to an Asus A7n8x some time ago using SATA with 2 drives and it benched fairly high. (forgets numbers) I would say go for it but keep in mind a couple of things. 1. Your boot time will take longer now as windows has to load SATA drivers at boot regardless of whether you use raid or not. 2. Installing or reinstalling your OS is a little more complicated as well since you will need the floppy with the drivers on it to use during installation of windows (hit f6 at startup). And 3. For some reason SATA hasnt quite taken off yet in popularity, although that may change in time, currently if you need to move these drives to another system or replace a mobo, you'll need SATA compliant hardware to get the job done. (I think?) Im not aware of any adapters to convert SATA to EIDE or anything like that.

That being said, I would go for it. The data transfer increase will be very nice if you use your second drive as a backup, unless your thinking of using Raid 1 in which case that wont matter and quite frankly that would be a waste of a good drive. As for cables, you can purchase round Eide cables instead of the standard wide ribbons if you dont like them, but SATA is still gonna be a bigger space saver with their tiny little wires. (nice)

I should add that round Eide cables sometimes have interference problems with the wires being bundled so close together but I us 3 sets of them in my second machine and havent had any problems yet.