nolaknf

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I searched, and it appears a few of us have raised objections to the difficulty in aiming the .61 panzerfaust. But these seem to be buried in threads and I think this deserves a thread of its own.

The pre 61 Faust was already tricky since it had a shorter range and required arc estimation. Now it's possible to be running after a tank and miss it at literally point blank range. This leads to clownish situations. For example, last night on Breakthrough at the top left flag two other players and I all were fausters. None of us could hit an approaching Cromwell, about all we could do was to keep it backed off, allowing us to respawn sequentially and come at it again after being shot down trying to hold still long enough to aim. Eventually one of us nailed it, but it was either completely ridiculous or completely hilarious.

Is there any historical basis for this aiming difficulty, or is this an attempt at balancing gone very bad? When you couple this with the single shot of the faust AND the difficulty in getting rearmed, you've basically negated it, pushing everyone to be engineers, and undermining the realism (in combat engineers didn't typically run after tanks and expack them).

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

i think the latter, (attempt at balancing gone very bad). but you can still rearm ANYWHERE. it seems it was either limited rearming or highly difficult aim were the 2 solutions

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

.5 Panzerfaust was an overpowered, easy to aim, death machine. The .61 Pfaust is too hard to aim, just as the Bazooka is too hard to aim. At least IMO. You can get around the aiming problems though

Who_Flung_Poo?

No I don't know who did.

50 XP

4th November 2003

0 Uploads

5,360 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Yea the main way to get around it seems to be to get point blank and fire, or to try and jump on top and fire, the latter being my favorite.

-Chapman-

FH Rocks!!!

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

126 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

The Panzerfaust is a defencive weapon, so its not for running after a tank and hunting them down. Its for you to defend a postion and/or ambush a enemy etc...

I think...lol

Jagd

{TDB}MajGen.Jagd AA

50 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

720 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Yeah but if you're an "Anti-Tank" Troop, with only one bloody shot, you had better have a fair chance of getting that shot off. I say make the crosshairs settle 400% faster on the Panzerfaust, and leave the Bazooka, Panzershreck and Piat alone. Since they have multiple shots, they can afford to miss one or two while on the move. Nothing is more frustrating than finally maneuvering into position to get off a tail shot on a Sherman than getting killed in the 10+ seconds it takes to actually have accuracy, and that's if you lie down; God help you if you try to let the reticule settle down while standing or crouched! Maybe it's realistic (which I doubt) but it sure hurts gameplay... The only viable choice to go after tanks as a German grunt is with the engineering kit, and that just doesn't seem right.

Denwad

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

20th October 2003

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

there is a way around this.... :) It's really funny, it works with every weapon. All I'll tell you is it involves switching weapons :)

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago
Denwadthere is a way around this.... :) It's really funny, it works with every weapon. All I'll tell you is it involves switching weapons :)

Most people know what you're talking about.

Cochise

click...boom

50 XP

1st December 2003

0 Uploads

286 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

nolaknf

The pre 61 Faust was already tricky since it had a shorter range and required arc estimation. Now it's possible to be running after a tank and miss it at literally point blank range. This leads to clownish situations. For example, last night on Breakthrough at the top left flag two other players and I all were fausters. None of us could hit an approaching Cromwell, about all we could do was to keep it backed off, allowing us to respawn sequentially and come at it again after being shot down trying to hold still long enough to aim. Eventually one of us nailed it, but it was either completely ridiculous or completely hilarious.

Is there any historical basis for this aiming difficulty, or is this an attempt at balancing gone very bad? When you couple this with the single shot of the faust AND the difficulty in getting rearmed, you've basically negated it, pushing everyone to be engineers, and undermining the realism (in combat engineers didn't typically run after tanks and expack them).

:roll: None of the anti-tank weapons are "on the move" weapons, never were, never have been. None of them had incredible range until very very late in the war, none of them were that accurate, so .6 on target in that respect.

The engineer ex-pack situation is however ridiculous.

The realistic situation is that a couple of infantry guys assaulting a tank ended up dead more often than not.

Denwad

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

20th October 2003

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

because of accompanying infantry and other tanks. This almost never happens in FH.

IRL a tank that breaks through without support isn't going to last long.