explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Intriguing ranting about the subs. I agree, tweak 'em. An idea have I, yes. A map it be. Iron Bottom Sound, off the coral sea. Could be interesting, lots of ships, not too many carriers, normal amounts, and for fun, some islands with the battered hulls of battleships dotting the map. Provides obstacles for steering, adds a creepy effect, etc. I'd like FH to give it a try.

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

By the way, Anlushac, the battleships in the Atlantic map CAN launch torpedoes. Just transfer the model to a destroyer and BAM (literally) you've got one kick-ass ship!

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
explamsterIntriguing ranting about the subs. I agree, tweak 'em. An idea have I, yes. A map it be. Iron Bottom Sound, off the coral sea. Could be interesting, lots of ships, not too many carriers, normal amounts, and for fun, some islands with the battered hulls of battleships dotting the map. Provides obstacles for steering, adds a creepy effect, etc. I'd like FH to give it a try.

I doubt it would be accepted because tis too flat but I am working on a Guadalcanal/the slot map in the big size. It has the top half of Guadalcanal and Henderson field toward the bottom right side, The Florida Islands and a small base for Tulagi where I want to stage the American PT boats from. Japs will launch from a small airfield in the upper left that was intended to represent the airstrip at Munda.

First version is a daytime Japs air raid on Henderson Field with Zeros, Vals, Bettys, Wildcats, SBD's, Avengers, and a B-17.

Second version is going to be a nighttime engagement with limited visibility around Savo Island and Cape Esperance. Japs get 4 Destroyers and US would get 3 Destroyers and 2 PT boats. If Japs get past the US blockade they can shell Henderson Field.

If FH does a US Battleship(USS Washington or South Dakaota), and different Japanese Battleship(Kirishima or Hiei) then a real battle of Savo Island could be done with US and Jap naval forces. I would like to see US "Black Cat" Catalinas equipped as torpedo bombers in game also. Just need some Maru's to sink.

I also want to do a air combat map based on the Jap raids on Port Darwin and Broome Australia. It needs the G4M Betty, Zeros, Aichi Val dive bombers, Kittyhawks, and Spitfires. Since Kittyhawks are listed on the mod homepage they will be out eventually so I can finish that map.

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I like the idea for the aussie maps, also a sydney harbour map were japanese midget subs have to sink america ships that are docked in the harbour. Darwin wasnt really a battle, but a bombing. Some New Guinea maps would be great..

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

No Darwin wasnt a big battle but the Japanese raided Australia 97 times in 15 months with 64 of those raids on Darwin and 4 on Broome.

It was defended mostly by Oz P-40's and US P-40's until February of 1943 when tropicalized Mk Vb Spitfires arrived. And it gives a chance for Spitfires versus Zeros. Most combat flight sims cant even make that claim.

Air Raids on Australian Mainland - from AWM 54 Item 812/3/12 Location Number of Raids Date Broome (WA) 4 During period 3 March 1942 - 16 August 1943 Darwin (NT) 64 During period 19 February 1942 - 12 November 1943 Derby (WA) 1 20 March 1942 Drysdale (NT) 1 27 September 1943 Exmouth Gulf (WA) 4 During period 21 May 1943 - 16 September 1943 Katherine (NT) 1 22 March 1942 Millingimbi (NT) 3 During period 9 May 1943 - 28 May 1943 Mossman (QLD)* 1 31 July 1942 Onslow (WA) 1 15 September 1943 Port Hedland (WA) 2 During period 30 July 1942 - 17 August 1943 Port Patterson (NT) 1 28 August 1942 Townsville (QLD)** 3 During period 25 July 1942 - 28 July 1942 Wyndham (WA) 2 During period 3 March 1942 - 23 March 1942 Horn Island 9 During period 14 March 1942 - 18 June 1943 TOTAL 97

Dime_a_Dozen

FH Dev Team Member

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Anlushac,

That sounds like a very nice setup for Guadalcanal. I proposed a similar map to the FH team in a poll. Keep me posted on your progress. If you need any help, ask! :)

Iggins

King of the Llamas

50 XP

12th July 2003

0 Uploads

83 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

it sounds good but it would reek havoc with game balance issues major issues.

and what did they do with the planes when they were underwater?

and if you put planes on it the code for planes makes them blow up under water

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

A shift in the Guadalcanal map is needed. It's buggy too, isn't it? It won't load for me without cutting out before I can spawn once.

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

I'm not too keen on the subs launching planes. Not only will they explode, but a submarine long enough to launch planes is going to be unwieldy as hell. But, then again what do I know? I confuse Stalingrad and Leningrad. Just check my map posts(the artillery was in Leningrad, not Stalingrad, which is what I said).

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

By the way, random thought, what happened to the B-17? I kinda enjoyed that high-flying hunk of junk.