I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Hi All,

Well, time to report on long range artillery duels between battleships. If we recall, I had asked the team to extend the viewing distance so that the big ships could engage each other at long range, like they did in real life. This 18th century business of getting within a few hundred feet and then blasting each other is totally hokey, not to mention unrealistic. :mad:

Major Hartmann was kind enough to reply that I should try to use spotter planes; that turned out to be useless, as there was no way to get a reference point for where you were shooting. Also, scouts couldn't plant their cameras from a plane.

What did work, however, was to send a ship or a captain's boat to within visual of the enemy, and THEN use an officer to plant a spotting camera. This was fine if the target sat absolutely still, as in the case of land objects such as hangars, etc, but again, worthless if the target was actively steaming. With a stationary boat, I was able to land hits from as far away as 7 squares wiht both primary and secondary guns. Once the target started steaming, it was a different story.

Therefore, we (finally) come to my suggestion; guys, *PLEASE* give us some way to see long distances from a battleship, either by creating a main fire-control station that has extended visibility, or by giving us a radar station that can spot both ships and shell splashes on radar. This business of having to get right on top of the opponent to fight, really takes a lot out of a game that could be the best, most enjoyable rendition of naval combat yet released - if that one flaw is fixed.

Thank you for your time

Maurizio

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

You could have a scout hiding on the enemy ship ;)

Having a radar, would bring just as much unrealism as ships getting "within few hundered feet and then blasting". Using scouts to spot ships, IMHO, is much more realistic

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Make the ships move slower? That way you get more time to line up your shots once a camera's been planted.

MaurizioDS

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

'[SYN hydraSlav']You could have a scout hiding on the enemy ship ;)

Having a radar, would bring just as much unrealism as ships getting "within few hundered feet and then blasting". Using scouts to spot ships, IMHO, is much more realistic

Hi,

Not at all. In WWII most Allied ships had radar capable of spotting shell splashes, and some of them could actually track the shells in flight from either their guns, or the enemy's guns. Shortly after the Allies gained this ability, the Axis powers improved their radar to that point also, so I respectfully suggest that you are incorrect in saying that using radar for fire control would be unrealistic.

Best,

Maurizio

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Fine

I hate history :)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

MaurizioDSHi,

Not at all. In WWII most Allied ships had radar capable of spotting shell splashes, and some of them could actually track the shells in flight from either their guns, or the enemy's guns. Shortly after the Allies gained this ability, the Axis powers improved their radar to that point also, so I respectfully suggest that you are incorrect in saying that using radar for fire control would be unrealistic

Yep, rangefinding radar up to even mechanical calculating target computers.......visit the target processing room of the Befast cruiser in london. ;)

I wouldn't know how to represent that in bf1942/Fh ships.....a RMB zoom function for surface weapon positions is the best thing i can think of. Maybe combined with regular radar ( no grenade splashes but only ship positions, at limited range ) but the fog will cover them anyway beyond a certain range.