I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Folks,

Though I've had fun chatting with other members of this forum, I ended up getting way off topic from my original reasons for posting - to ask the designers, or mods supervisors for some changes. Since that original point has been long overshadowed by many others, I thought it wise to restate, as simply as possible, my original requests/suggestions for these hard-working folks, plus a couple more.

Specifically;

First of all, please give us greater fighting range in any scenario involving the big ships. Part of the excitment of capital ship combat is the nerve-wracking close between opponents, and this is totally absent in your otherwise splendid game. Players can't see each other until they are at point-blank range, and basically can't miss - an entire dimension is, unfortunately, missing.

Please strengthen the Tirpitz from her current state. With respect to the Prince of Wales, and her class in general, the Tirpitz should have certain advantages, and one slight disadvantage. Here they are, factually based:

1) Significantly harder to sink, for many reasons 2) Slightly easier to damage in general 3) Much harder hitting power (according to the U.S. Navy data I quoted earleir, 51% more, to be exact). 4) Faster (about 10% more speed) 5) Slightly more accurate guns

While #1 and #2 seem contradictory, I am just trying to say that her exposed equpiment seemed to be more vulnerable to shellfire, while her internal "organs" were superbly protected. One possible way to model this, would be to make the players on board more vulnerable to shell fire, while making the ship much harder to sink in general.

Please introduce the Littorio class of Italian battleships - either the Vittorio Veneto, the Roma, or the Littorio herself. These were superb vessels that have been very poorly understood, and given an unjust reputation for mediocrity as a result. I would be very happy to forward any data you may desire from my library on these ships, data that comes from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, rather than possibly biased info from ex-"regime" officials. Comparing these ships to the existing Prince of Wales, the pros/cons would look something like this;

1) Harder to sink, but not as much so as the Tirpitz. Remember, the Veneto was hit the same way as the PoW, but managed to remain controllable. When the Roma blew up from a magazine hit, she stayed afloat for nearly 4 1/2 minutes, unlike the Hood or Yamato which went down almost immediately when their mags blew. 2) Not any easier or harder to damage in general. 3) *DEVASTATING* hitting power; 80% more at short/medium ranges, approaching 100% more at long/extreme range. 4) Faster (about 14% more speed). 5) Significantly more accurate guns (combined with #3, this was this class' claim to fame).

I know I am asking a lot, and I am sure that your staff already has enough to worry about, but I figured that it doesn't hurt to ask, and that 100% of the requests you don't make, don't get granted......

Thanks again! :)

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Try using the spotterplanes, that's all I can say.

MaurizioDS

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
Major HartmannTry using the spotterplanes, that's all I can say.

Major,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that you can use the birds to find other ships; I was referring to the long-range gunnery duels that were the hallmark of naval combat as being the missing dimension. Is there any way for the mods team to lift the "fog" so that we can see (and shoot at) ships while they're farther away? Just doing that one thing would make the situation much more interesting, and challenging.

Thanks again.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Again, use the spotterplanes.... And have long range artillery duels