Lt. Havoc

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

131 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Have a map split by the Rhine river (Germans one side and Allies other). There's a steel bridge semi-intact but blocked with wreckage and heavily defended by the axis. This is where the concept comes in. Have the Allies building a pontoon bridge, how does it get built? Well, have a series of flags points stretched across the river with the pontoon bridge partially started. Once the allies capture the nearest flag to them a new section of bridge appears. They then advance and capture another flag in order to spawn another section of pontoon bridge. Once all the sections are in place they can move their armor across. Meanwhile the axis can do anything to try and stop them. Even capturing the sections which would destroy them, make them sink or disappear. The pontoon bridge sections would have to be modelled and coded similar to vehicles so that they appear once a control point was captured. Anyone follow this?

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Too bad you couldnt make a Pontoon bridge section deployable by Engineers. Have a Engineer run to end of Pontoon bridge look down and instead of laying a mine or something it deploys a section of Pontoon bridge.

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

That would make it hard for the germans..they're good ideas fellas. If the engineer has a section of bridge then make the germans have artillery to barrage the river with

Curried-Cat

Defender of things

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

The ideas a good one but I think it would be very easy for the Axis forces to pick off a lone engineer and halt bridge construction. Maybe use some other way of deploying it say by pushing them into the water?

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

Hmmm 2 1/2 ton truck drives up to river and deploys a bailey bridge?

Or a bridging tank? I have seen pics of A Pz4 bridge tank and T-34 bridge tank...cant remember seeing a Brit or US bridge tank?

Lt. Havoc

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

131 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

First, the fog level would be fairly high to help curb sniping. Yes the axis can shell the hell out of the allies as they hope to build/spawn their bridge. Allied artillery can shell across the river and have a big arti dual as the poor bastards try to get the bridge built. There will be a lot of casualties for the allies until they get the bridge built but then they can roll over to the axis side and cap the 3 or so control points. The original steel bridge can still be a means to get infantry across but it would be at great cost and not much good once on the axis side. Still its a concept. I'd still like to map static objects.

Curried-Cat

Defender of things

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

You could have a series of repair points across the river (above the water to avoid swimming engineers). Once you repair one section you can get access to the next via the section you have just created. Obviously the Axis can shoot them and eventually destroy them again.